Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Place in America.

Options
  • 30-01-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

I am searched Google but couldnt find the answer, I currently own a House in Ireland i am Quite young and hope in Buy a place in Florida in a Few years,What is the Situation is Visa's while owning a Place in America,How long can you stay in a Year etc.

P.s Mods please move if i am in wrong Forum.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

I am searched Google but couldnt find the answer, I currently own a House in Ireland i am Quite young and hope in Buy a place in Florida in a Few years,What is the Situation is Visa's while owning a Place in America,How long can you stay in a Year etc.

P.s Mods please move if i am in wrong Forum.

Thanks

i think you can stay 90 days. Leave the country. come back and stay another 90 days and so on. But im not entirely sure of this.
    Watch out for property taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

321654 wrote: »
    i think you can stay 90 days. Leave the country. come back and stay another 90 days and so on. But im not entirely sure of this.
    Watch out for property taxes.
    Maybe, but don't try using the same port of entry.
    The Department of Homeland Security will pull you and accuse you of abusing the visa waiver program.
    After that, you'll never get in.
    Happend to a friend of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

I will Trade you my house an land in North Carolina for your house in Ireland .. i must first confir with my Nigerian Accountant :P .. no seriously tho i wonder if you could do that sayin both lands were of equal value trade them like cars or such

edit:will also trade citizenships

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Trade family's to and Gf,Wife?(Hope gf doesnt see this)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Moved from Investments and Markets. Not sure this is the right place, but it's a better bet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Probably better in Living Abroad :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

As mentioned, you probably won't be able to use the visa waiver program (90 days entry) as it would be seen as abusing the system and if you get caught then it could end up messy. Best thing to do would be to contact a real estate agent/broker in an area you are interested in and find out as much from them as you can. If you want to go it alone and do it yourself, it might save you a few thousand but is a huge amount of work.
    There is the question of how you will be paying for the house, mortgage would be difficult to find if you haven't worked here, have a steady income or credit score.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

I am pretty sure the 90 day visa can only be used twice in any year for a total of 180 days total in any year. That would need to be confirmed but i remember reading that on the gov website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The visa waiver program is for visiting a maximum of 90 days at a time; you cannot be in the USA longer than you are outside it in any given year, and if you visit a lot, that can raise red flags too (I got stopped for several hours once because I had visited five times in 10 months, even though it was all long weekends). Owning a house over here won't give you a special visa, though you could apply for a tourist visa (B category visa), which will allow you to stay for a maximum of 6 months at a time.

Advertisement