Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

17INCH OR 18INCH ALLOYS 4 golf.

Options
  • 30-01-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

hi guys and girls.
    im new to this and im looking for some help and advice.
    i have standard 17 inch vw alloys on a mk5 vw golf gti.
    im looking to locate genuine 18 inch vw polished gti alloys.im looking for a perfect set,no marks,scuffs or scratches. with or with out tyres.
    im thinking of changing alloys for cosmetic reasons only.
    any one got any feedback as to how the bigger alloy effects the ride and handling of the car.all feed back is welcome.:p:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

mygti wrote: »
    hi guys and girls.
    im new to this and im looking for some help and advice.
    i have standard 17 inch vw alloys on a mk5 vw golf gti.
    im looking to locate genuine 18 inch vw polished gti alloys.im looking for a perfect set,no marks,scuffs or scratches. with or with out tyres.
    im thinking of changing alloys for cosmetic reasons only.
    any one got any feedback as to how the bigger alloy effects the ride and handling of the car.all feed back is welcome.:p:cool:

Genuine mkv gti alloys have hollow spokes to reduce unsprung weight so handling should be improved. The ride may be a little more harsh due to the lower sidewall height of the tyre but turn in should improve.

Ebay.co.uk or ukmkiv's would be the places to look, they don't pop up for sale much here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

If you are selling your old ones and they are in perfect nik give me a shout... Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

I have 18" alloys on my gti and find the ride spot on . I sometimes wouldn'd be driving the best roads in Ireland and have no issuses with them.
    As for looks?.... They are in my eyes the one of best looking alloys on the market and make the 17" ones look plain.

Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 mygti

dose any body know where in ireland i can get these beautiful 18inch rims,besides my vw dealer...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

have you tried up north? lower vat, sterling, etc.

there was also 30% VRT on them wheels If bought new a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The VW 18'' alloys look fantastic but the 17''ers will be way better if you like driving rather than cruising. I've experienced it myself with wheels/alloys from 16''-18''. Plus I've read a few long term reviews from English mags that say the 17''ers are better for all-round driving dynamics. Depends what your priorities are and where you drive...

Certainly on the roads I travel are becoming ever more pockmarked. I'm actually a bit concerned because I hear local councils are being seriously tightened on budgets. Much more so than some public sector/quangos I know who are actually still taking on people in v low key way:eek: Anyway I digress...

Advertisement