Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke Kelly 25 years Dead

Options
  • 30-01-2009 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Luke Kelly, (17 November 1940 - 30 January 1984)
    R.I.P

Its a shame that this man or the Dubliners does not get any radio play ,not even for his 25th anniversey.
    Rest in Peace

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Thanks for the reminder.

What a singer he was. I have many recordings of him and he never misses a note. But he wasn't content just to sing the songs, he had to be relevent, and he tried to effect change for the better. That's the ultimate job of the folk singer really. And Luke the ultimate example.

I'd love to see what he'd say about the world and the country we live in today. We need more of his kind around now, for sure...

The documentary 'Luke' was probably the sadest thing I ever saw.

"Come on people let your life begin
    Come on now let sun shine in
    Come on people let your life begin
    Let it in, Let it in..."

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭lanternchikk

I'm listening to Lukey's version of "The Lifeboat Mona" right now. Positively haunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

couldn't agree more. he's missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭mobby

Luke Kelly RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

I have onlt recently given Luke's music the time it deserves and I find it hard to listen to anything else..........

LEGEND

• Advertisement

I'd like to recommend the book "Luke Kelly: A Memoir" by Des Geraghty.

I am in love with Luke's voice. He had such charisma too, and was such an intense person...and maybe this sounds all kinds of wrong, but I think he wasn't unattractive either...!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

The Greatest Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Thanks for the reminder.

I'd love to see what he'd say about the world and the country we live in today. We need more of his kind around now, for sure...
    "

I actually find it very interesting that a good number of the songs he sung are still relative now, and maybe even more so these days. I remember when bush headed to afganistan, the one line that stuck in my mind was the last line from "the button pusher"... "you dont have to kill the whole bloody lot just to make the people free"

his legacy will never be forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gerk11

The best tribute song to Luke
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txH2Sbot9As

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Thanks for the reminder.

What a singer he was. I have many recordings of him and he never misses a note. But he wasn't content just to sing the songs, he had to be relevent, and he tried to effect change for the better. That's the ultimate job of the folk singer really. And Luke the ultimate example.

The documentary 'Luke' was probably the sadest thing I ever saw.

"Come on people let your life begin
    Come on now let sun shine in
    Come on people let your life begin
    Let it in, Let it in..."
    Do you have an imdb link to this documentary? Can't seem to find it at all.

• Advertisement

The documentary about Luke is here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

fitz0 wrote: »
    Do you have an imdb link to this documentary? Can't seem to find it at all.

Doesn't seem to be on the IMDB. I'm not suprised really as it took me ages to track it down a number of years ago.

It was produced by Ferndale Films. More info can be found here http://www.ferndalefilms.com/documentary_luke.htm

The documentary about Luke is here.

Excellent work there lanternchikk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

he was some legend alrigt. Only person ever to make a ginger fro on a white man work.

Excellent work there lanternchikk...

To be fair, it wasn't me who uploaded it. It was Kels (kellyoneill on Youtube).
    seanybiker wrote: »
    he was some legend alrigt. Only person ever to make a ginger fro on a white man work.

Heheh, gotta love Luke's ginger 'fro!:D And his habit of bathing in coddle.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

i would first like to tank lanternchikk for suplying the link
    fanstic video, wish i was around to see him play
    im just wondering does any one no where i got get a dawnload are cd with the song 'scorn not his simplicity'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Was only listening to his version of the shoals of herring earlier, powerful shtuff

Advertisement