Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CER Controled Works - Electrical

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Interesting, but in practice I wonder if it will change anything??

Speaking as an ex electrical contractor I would like to see someone independent like CER certifying all electrical work. That would really make a difference.
    That way:

1) The customer knows the work is up to standard. Self certification don’t work (people tend not to fail themselves)

2) All electrical contractors have to meet the required standard.

3) A level playing field for electrical contractors when quoting for jobs (due to 2 above)

In the past some of my quotes were beaten by contractors that did not comply with the ETCI regulations. The result is they save money on time and materials. It is very frustrating for many contractors when by doing the job right means that you are too expensive!

Then they certified their own work and when the inspector came they would always bring him to inspect the same job (one of the few that they had done right!). One of these guys sent one of his “alarm engineers” to wire an entire extension. He fed all of the lights and sockets off the cooker. The customer was delighted because they did not have to wreck the house bringing cables back to the board!!

In general the customer is happy if everything works and the job looks neat, they have no way of knowing that a job is safe or not.

This bit looks like it makes sense:
    ........an amount of Do-It-Yourself (or “DIY”)
    electrical installation work is a feature of electrical installations in domestic premises in this country and generally involves “like for like” replacements of switches, sockets, lighting fittings and/or additions to an existing circuit; in these instances (except for those where the work has been carried out in a special location e.g. a bathroom or kitchen) the work would not be considered a Controlled Work under the proposed definition and would be
    deemed as a minor electrical work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Topmail

I agree with your comments, as an ex inspector I have seen a lot of work which was certified by contractors which did not meet ETCI standards. Self certification is not working as far as I am concerned and this was one of the reasons I quit as an inspector. As you said the customer is happy when he sees everything working.What CER are proposing here is not going to make any difference to the quality and safety of the work. I think insurance companies could have a big part to play in this if they insisted on independant inspections of electrical installations say every 3 years before they would insure the property. CER had a great chance here of doing things right but they have gone for the soft option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Self certification is not working as far as I am concerned and this was one of the reasons I quit as an inspector
    Interesting that someone from your background should say that.

I worked for a pharmaceutical company that shall remain namless, but they sent me on an training course on the use of explosion proof equipment in hazardous areas. Once I had completed the course I started to notice how dangerous the plant I was working in really was! I expressed my concerns to senior people in the engineering department, explaining that they were ignoring regulations everywhere. They ignored me, so I did what you did and quit. A few months later they had a massive explosion! Not the first explosion, and I dont think it will be the last.

After each "incident" there is the obligatory "investigation" that finds that it was "an act of God" and no one is to blame.

Again the solution is obvious, get an independent body to certify the work.

Advertisement