Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching

Options
  • 30-01-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

hi,
    I currently have a BSc(ordinary) in maths but was thinking of doing primary teaching. While the degree i have qualifies me to teach maths, it does not qualify for entry to the hdip or Hibernian. Does anyone know where i could get information on where i could study up north, or across the water, or where i could find out if my degree would qualify me for entry into a postgrad course or about entry requirements for these countries?
    any info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Hi Rothai,
    Just want you to confirm something:-
    When you say you've a BSc (Ord) in Maths, what do you mean?
    As some people get confused in what is meant by an Honours degree.

Hibernia, & the other Irish Postgrads require that you have a Fetac level 8 qualification. (i.e. an honours Degree), as opposed to getting an Honours grade (i.e. a 1:1) in your degree.
    An ordinary degree is only a Fetac Lavel 7 qualification & it's this that's not acceptable.
    Have you checked that your degree is only a level 7?
    (Sorry if you already knew all that, it's just sometimes people don't)

Do you also have the Irish requirement?
    If so, would you be able to do an add on year to your degree somewhere to bring it up to a level 8 qualification (assuming it's not that already), & then go for Hibernia after that?

I've no information about going up north or to the UK, I'm afraid.
    I know that the North is near impossible to get into, such is the demand for it.
    A lot of the UK colleges (but not all) require a LC science subject. Do you have this?

I hate always redirecting peole from this site, & I don't do so to belittle this site, but there's also a great site www.educationposts.ie where there's 100s of people in, or who have been in your situation, who are very quick in answering queries, & you should find answers to all your questions over there if you have any problems on here.

Anyway, best of luck. If I can be of any more help just shout. I'm starting Hibernia in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

thanks boozybabe,
    its a lvl 7 qualification, i can go on but its a further 2 years pt time to bring it up to lvl 8. was hoping to get around it by heading to uk, i have the LC science subject so that wouldnt be a problem. Has anyone else gone to UK to do primary teaching with a lvl 7 qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

Hi,

Didn't think it was neccesary to start a new thread as I'm in a similar position.

I finished a BSc (Ord, lvl 7) in Computer last may and basically want to try go and do what I originally planed, and have found, wanted to do, Primary School Teaching.

I was looking for work with my degree but as we all know not the best time so I think I'll go back to college next year. Maybe this is a good thing though because I think I'd be far happier teaching than I would have been following a path in computers.

This is my first step here really, so I'm just trying to get an understanding of where I can go for information etc.

Now the one that gets everyone, Irish; can't speak it. I've never had a flair for languages, scraped an Ordinary level D in both irish and french for Junior and Leaving Cert. Do I have to go abroad? Will there be job opportunities when I return? Are there any loopholes I could exploit to study here? Or do I just have to knuckle down and try learn Irish?

Also wondering are my leaving cert results still have importance? English, Maths etc? What level do they need to be at?

Think thats about all I have for now. :) Any and all help appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi Julez,

RE: Irish:- There are NO loopholes, thankfully. I mean, if you follow your dream & eventually become a teacher, you'll be responsible for so many peoples education. How unfair would it be to them to be denied a proper Irish education because of a loophole in the system, that meant you didn't need to gain competency in it.
    So, with that in mind, you've two options. Go to the UK & train there, or repeat your Irish, get the honour & then train here.

Another obstacle for you is that you've only a Level 7 degree. You cannot train in Ireland for a teaching qualification with only a level 7 degree. So again, you've two options:- go to the UK & train, or do an add-on year to your degree & then train here. Bear in mind, that the requirement in the UK as far as I know, for the majority, but not all, of the colleges is also a level 8 degree. But as I said, I think there are a few places that will accept level 7 degrees. Most UK colleges, but not all, also require a science subject as part of your LC. Check out www.gttr.co.uk for more info.

If you then do decide to train in the UK, there's still no getting away from the Irish requirement when you come back. You'll have 5 years in which to complete an exam called the SCG. This has a similar structure to it as the Hons Irish LC paper, but of a higher standard.

As for job opportunities when you come back:- in all probability they're going to be slim. I don't mean just for you, I mean for everyone, regardless of where you studied. With cut backs, & the amount of newly qualified teachers being churned out every year, I think it's going to be tough to get decent teaching positions for the next while. But, you could be lucky!

If you decide to just get on with studying the Irish now, it's not impossible. I repeated myself last June, 11 years after doing my LC. Originally I did Ord Level & just about scraped a C. I put a bit of effort in this time round & I got a B2 honours. There are different classes run around the country to help people like you.

& finally, yes, your LC results still count. I don't know what they are for the UK, again check the individual colleges on the site I listed above, but for Ireland, the criteria is:-
    Minimum grade C (higher level) in Leaving Cert Irish
    Minimum grade D (ordinary or higher level) in Leaving Cert Mathematics
    Minimum grade C (ordinary level) or grade D (higher level) in Leaving Cert English

Hope that helps some.
    BB

Wow, thanks for that, really helpful stuff there. I guess learning Irish is my best option now. I'd rather study here to be honest. I'll have to do an add on year to get that level 8 award, which isn't entirely impossible.

I'm all good on the leaving Cert apart from the Irish, of course. If I was to learn Irish do I resit the LC exam or do I just do the SCG? Where do you go to resit one LC exam?

Sorry for being so useless and thats for all your help, I really appreciate it.

• Advertisement

You only do the SCG if you have already completed the Post Grad in Primary Ed in the UK. I.E. It's for getting your Irish qualification AFTER you've qualified.

In Ireland, you must have an Irish qualification (i.e. Hons LC Irish) BEFORE commencing your teacher training.
    So, if you train in Ireland you will not do the SCG, you will have to have done Hons Irish before applying for a place.

(P.S. There are alternatives to Hons Irish, but these are prob even trickier to complete. These include studying Irish for for a year of your college degree etc)

You can study the LC course yourself, you can get grinds from an Irish teacher, or there are privately run courses in different parts of the country. I have no information on these & I don't know where your based. I did a course in Navan.
    Regardless of how you prepare for the course, YOU have to register yourself with the Dep of Ed to resit your exam & you have to find your own school who is willing to allow you to sit the exam on their premises. You do not sit the exam through the course that you do. That course is simply to help you prepare the course material for the exam. The rest is up to you.

Ok, thank you for all the info BB, you've been really helpful.
    Guess Rome wasn't built in a day... I better get to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

hey guys I have a friend that has graduated with a BA in Geography & English and a MA in Geography. He got a C1 in Leaving Cert Hons Irish.

he thought he might work in the planning Field or something but has now changed his mind on this. At the Moment he is unemployed and not sure what to do.

He is very quiet, has no subbing experience, He is slighly intersted in teaching now but is half frightened of standing in front of a class and teaching to kids. He isnt fluent in Irish but has a standard knowledge.
    He is wondering also if he goes for the teaching interview next December he mightened get it and he doesnt know what to do then.

Any suggestions in what he should do?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

you could apply to a secondary PGCE in the UK.
    A level 7 degree is enough to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

teednab-el wrote: »
    is half frightened of standing in front of a class and teaching to kids.

He should look for a few days subbing or least ask if he can go in and observe. There's no point in applying for a course if you're scared of kids, they'll eat ya! :pac:
    Seriously though, it's a waste of his time if he's going to be very nervous. He needs to find out if he could manage before he signs up to any major commitment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LoLXxXxXx

Hi could someone help me pls i have 2small children i am 22 and want to do primary school teaching i got a d2or d3 in higher level irish in leaving cert.I am going to do a evening course in nui maynooth campas in kilkenny for diploma in irish how would i go about things then, i am from kilkenny and cannot go away to collge with kids help

Advertisement