Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi mitre saw for segmented turning work

Options
  • 30-01-2009 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

I Guys,

Could you please give your opinion on this

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_7447.htm

I currently am sawing by hand for some very basic segmented work, does this machine look any good for me to purchase so i can advance ?

I'm currently saving for a band saw thought - could i do the cuts required on a band saw for segmented work ( with some kind of a jig ) - and so leave the above and just keep saving ?

Thanks

Loz

Basic by hand - ( u can see some ugly cuts, and glue joins - so i also need some clamps if anyone can recommend ? )

[IMG][/img]th_S7002216.jpg th_S7002215.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Hi,
    How big do your blanks have to me before you turn them? because that saw will do 120mm max depth of cut , but it doesn't slide back and forth.
    I'd be more inclined to get a bandsaw, weapon of choice for a lot of turners I think? Aldi do a bandsaw , I think Croppyboy has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

Thanks for that - Im lookinbg for a bandsaw for balnks, however this is for segment work,

eg saw i need to cut segments 2 inch long (shorter on the inside ) 30 degree taper

eg

\
    /

so i can then glue up 10 of these to make rings. I cant cut that accurate on a bandsaw can i ?? ( or can i ? )

Of should i be looking at something else a table saw perhaps ?

Dunno

I knwo feck all about saws.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

loz,
    a halfway decent bandsaw should come with a mitre fence to allow you to cut angles, they work almost the same as a table saw, with the slot cut in the table and a fence with a handle that you set you your angle and then use to push your piece through the blade. I have not got a bandsaw but I would guess that they would be more usefull or "user friendly" when it comes to doing odd shaped or hand held work as they do not tend to kick back due to the movement of the blade. Plus you see alot of people doing free hand work on the band saw, you would never see that on a table saw.

If you can afford I would saw band saw.

I didn't know there was an irish wood turning guild!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

Thanks Alan,

Then a bandsaw it is then !

IWG ! - Yes - Its the oldest Woodturning guild in the world ! - If you turn , then join, you can then vist clubs, seminars etc.......

Loz

edit - Anyone know where i can get a decent 2nd hand bandsaw ? - or recomend new ones ? - the Record Power BS250 looks ok ? - any one experience ?

Advertisement