Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Fraud

Options
  • 30-01-2009 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

It's come to my attention that although I'm registered for PRSI it seems my employer has not paid the PRSI contributions, she's had me for a fool.

Could I get in trouble for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest that you request a p21 from your local tax office and make sure they have your prsi number and your employers name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Your employer is the one who will be in trouble for this, the onus lies with her to deduct and forward the Paye/Prsi to the revenue.
    Dont worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

in what way have you come to this information that she has not paid can i ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Buffman

Could I get in trouble for this?

You won't, but your employer will.
    Have they being paying your PAYE tax?
    mkdon05 wrote: »
    forward the Paye/Prsi to the revenue.

PAYE goes to revenue, PRSI goes to social welfare.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Buffman wrote: »
    You won't, but your employer will.
    Have they being paying your PAYE tax?

PAYE goes to revenue, PRSI goes to social welfare.

It all goes to the Collector General who is a Revenue Officer. The Social Welfare fund is credited with the amount of PRSI paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

There was no money being deducted from my wages at all, she told me I wasn't earning enough to be taxed. Something about a wage band or something, I trusted her at the time.
    So she's been paying me cash in hand all this time but I never thought anything of it because I trusted her. Plus she has been getting these forms from the Revenue with my name on it since I started working there, so I figured she was telling the truth and that I was going through the books but only there last week I came across them, some dating back a good few months, others not even opened.

Sorry to drag this up again.

So should I report her? If so what's the consequences for her? Also, would I have to pay so much to the Collector General until my "tax debt" is paid up to date? I've been working there since July '07.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It depends how much you are earning , over 15hrs at min wage would just about put you in for prsi.

On your pay slip what is your prsi code ie is it 'a1' 'j12'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

wmpdd3 wrote: »

If the poster has been getting a payslip, that is. It sounds like she might not have been getting anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If the OP reports the employer to the Revenue chances are she will lose her job. If she is on the dole she won't qualify for any Jobseekers Benefit without undergoing a means test and decalring all her savings.
    Without knowing her particular circumstances (Married, single, living at home with parents etc...) I don't know if she would qualify for Jobseekers Assistance.
    The job doesn't sound good if the boss is welshing on her tax obligations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

doolox wrote: »
    If the OP reports the employer to the Revenue chances are she will lose her job.

She could then bring them to the Labour Relations Court for unfair dismissal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

I wouldnt jump to conclusions just yet. I could be a case that your employer (er) has been deducting PRSI but is not in a position to pay. This is not your problem its just a case that your er hasnt got the cash to pay. Once you have a P60 and payslips to prove your contributions then dont worry about it.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    It depends how much you are earning , over 15hrs at min wage would just about put you in for prsi.

I work anything from 29 hours to 35 hours a week. Paid cash in hand, no payslip.

Thanks to everyone above who posted. I'm going to look into getting my p21 come Monday!

Advertisement