Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching ESL in Spain for the Summer

Options
  • 30-01-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever done this?

I want to do it this year, for the experience but also to improve my spanish, and hey, for the sun too.

Any tips on what companies to go to, what colleges, schools, anything I need to take into account?

I am fully qualified, ACELS and have 3 years exp teaching ESL with conversational spanish

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

In general the amount of ESL teaching goes down in Spain over the summer with people taking long breaks from work and sending kids over to a summer school in an English-speaking country.

You could give the usual suspects a go - international house, berlitz, in lingua, linguarama - go thro' a recruitment agency such as saxoncourt or ... go over there to do a Spanish course and set yourself up some language exchange partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Hey

thanks!

I was thinking going to Spain would kill two birds with the one proverbial stone tbh, because I need to brush up on my spanish but I also wouldn't mind ESL experience, because unlike most people with a TEFL qualification, I'm really into it, and really love teaching it.

But then again, the way the economy has gone, and is likely to go over the next few months, money has become a factor.. I know staying here is not good for job prospects, but at least here, Id be entitled to the dole for the summer. If I go there, sure after Ive paid for the rent, food, etc.. Ill probably end up just as poor as I would here.

But again, you provided me with the list of info I needed, and thanks for that, Ill check it all out, and post my findings here, on the off chance theres someone else thinking of doing the same,

cheers
    peanuthead

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

No problem, Of course remember to avoid Barcelona if it's your Spanish rather Catalan you want to improve ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

See Ye wrote: »
    No problem, Of course remember to avoid Barcelona if it's your Spanish rather Catalan you want to improve ;)

Yeah, did a summer course there a while back, great course, but never got to use the spanish outside of the place!! They can all speak it of course, but refuse to.

Advertisement