Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G wireless signal blocked by new Double Glazing?

Options
  • 30-01-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

A friend has this really strange problem with her 3G dongle. It was working ok up until last week.

I know 3G isn't real Broadband, but my friend was getting reasonably consistent speeds slightly better than dialup outside of busy times. She usually avoided using it at busy times, because the signal seemed to fade away.

She got new Double-Glazing in the last week, and now there is absolutely no signal, any time of day. I checked the dongle outside in the garden, and it still works out there.

Is it possible that the new double glazing is blocking the wireless signal from getting inside the house? It is supposed to be energy-saving double glazing. Does it have some kind of metallic layer in it? I know I had problems using my GPS once in a rented car - there seemed to be something blocking the satellite signal in the car window.

I suggested that she gets DSL. Even when it worked, the 3G service wasn't what I would consider acceptable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Argon gas is more frequently being used in energy efficient double glazing.

It can block or hinder radio signals.

The easy way to check it is to open the window and see if the signal quality increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Actually it's usually either the glass itself or a metallic filter coating on it.

If DSL is possible it's up to 100x better.

Actually if the light is changed in colour or reflections outdoors are much darker thorough the double galzing then it DOES have the OPTIONAL metallic finish. Usually on an inner surface so it can't be scratched!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

My money is on argon gas. Or at least the money of a number of wireless vendors about two years ago.

But what would I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Whatever the exact reason the solution is a hole in the wall with waterproof plastic box and the 3G Modem in it connected back by USB.

Or better still, real Broadband.

The only references I can find to Argon blocking radio via google is actually posts on Boards relating to Ripwave. Ripwave is usally 3.6GHz and gas absorption curves are various spikes corresponding to various electron energy levels (which is why gas discharge tubes without phosphors lasers and LEDs are generally particular monochromatic light). It would seem cruel coincidence for Argon to block 900, 1800, 2.1GHz, 3.6GHz and 10.6GHz (the wireless things I've seen blocked by Double Glazing).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Some glass coatings are metallic and polarised tightly which has an effect on signals . Tell her to take the window out to see if it improves matter :p

Why did the installers not warn her ??

I believe that Watty is correct. If, however, Argon glows purple then it is 'excited' by RF and arseburger is onto something .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

watty wrote: »
    Actually it's usually either the glass itself or a metallic filter coating on it.

If DSL is possible it's up to 100x better.

Actually if the light is changed in colour or reflections outdoors are much darker thorough the double galzing then it DOES have the OPTIONAL metallic finish. Usually on an inner surface so it can't be scratched!

I got some more information - the double glazing is Pilkington "K-glass". Apparently, the installers are now recommending this in order to improve the energy rating of your home. I found some more info on the web - it includes a metallic layer as Watty suggested.

http://www.techworld.com/mobility/features/index.cfm?featureid=4159&pn=1

My friend ordered DSL from eircom today. There are two people with 3G dongles in the house. Didn't make sense for them both to be paying separate subscriptions anyway. The energy saving from the double glazing will more than make up for any increased cost from DSL.

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.gjames.com.au/product/gl/coated.html
    Coated and Low E glass

refers to those products which have been coated with a fine layer of metallic particles. It is the reflective qualities provided by these metallic particles that give this type of glass

it's outstanding thermal performance

K Glass is one type, Glaverbel is sometimes used instead and there are other makes of "Low E" or coated glass out there.

All of them make ****e of radio waves and more so at 3g frequencies than 2g frequencies

Any chance that dopey **** eamon ryan could make these salesmen clarify the effect of low e glass on communications systems ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Wow, the NBS is going to be a National Disaster Scheme or Natioanl Denial of Service :P

Advertisement