Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gambling info

Options
  • 29-01-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

I was wondering does anybody know where I can find out some information on the gambling industry.

Some information I was hoping to find are:-
    Value of the industry?
    Key players and their market share in Ireland?
    Laws in Ireland for betting?
    Profit levels?
    Etc…..

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,433 ✭✭✭✭cson

1. The value of the industry is hard to quantify in my honest opinion with most firms operating their internet and phone betting offshore.

2. Key or major players in Ireland would be Powers, Boyles, Ladbrokes and Celtic's if you count highstreet and online presence although there are a good lot of independent large-ish chain bookmakers such as Hacketts and Bar One etc.

3. Laws in Ireland concerning gambling are governened almost exclusively by the 1947 Gambling Act iirc. Regarding operating a bookmakers, one must apply to the local county council for a suitability of premises cert in addition as far as I know.

4. As a rough guideline, basic profit levels are around 13% of turnover. Obviously this varies but it is useful as a general rule.

To be honest, it seems like you have aspirations of setting up your own bookmakers by the sounds of things. In the current climate I would certainly advise against as the initial set up costs are very high and it could take years to fully recoup your investment. And thats even before you'd make any proper profit. Unless you have a very lucrative stand in mind, I'd stay away, the market is saturated at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

Thanks for replying.

I’m in college and thinking of doing a project based on the gambling industry.
    The problem is I cant find concrete information about the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marksealy

gambit83 wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I was wondering does anybody know where I can find out some information on the gambling industry.

Some information I was hoping to find are:-
    Value of the industry?
    Key players and their market share in Ireland?
    Laws in Ireland for betting?
    Profit levels?
    Etc…..

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated
    dont get involed pal its not good at all

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

marksealy wrote: »
    dont get involed pal its not good at all

He said its for a college project, you should try reading the thread:rolleyes:

Advertisement