Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loss of Job Share and Career Breaks as a Result of education cuts

Options
  • 29-01-2009 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I am a secondary school teacher who hopes to job share next year, but as a result of the education cuts my school is over quota and the department will not fund replacement teachers in schools that are over quota. Due to childcare issues going back full time would be a nightmare. Looking to talk to anyone out there who is affected by this.
    Is there a way around this, How can we change departmental policy????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's not unusual for people to be refused job-sharing. They don't have to grant it, but they have to give a reason, which they have. I wouldn't fancy your chances tbh. Have you considered a career break?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bb0610

My school is very open to job share and career break but its the department who will not pay to fund replacement teachers to schools over quota (Despite the fact that it is often cheaper to pay the replacements who may be further down the salary scale). As a result of the budget almost all schools are now over quota. Bringing back in teachers on job share and career Break will actually raise the teachers salary bill, costing the Government more!!!

Am currently on career break to look after 3 small children. Both full time or job share salaries would have been almost fully spent on childcare so I stayed out of work. Wanted to return job share this year as two would be in school. Now have to go back Full time and will spend 70% of salary on chilcdare or more if there are pay cuts

Anyone else out there in similar situation?

Advertisement