Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA F7 and P2 lecturer recommendation

Options
  • 29-01-2009 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi eyeryone,

Can anyone recommend a good lecturer for F7 and P2 in Dublin? I went to BPP for F7 last semister and had David Ahearn as a lecturer. I didn't really like his approach. I'm pretty sure feel I've failed and would like to know a good lecturer to repeat with.

Thanks,
    Noeleen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Weaselator

I did P2 in Independent colleges with Liam Doran last time round, I liked his approach and can recommend him!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Irish.sherpa

I did F7 with David Aherne - you either like him or hate him from the first lecture. I think he is very useful. Saying that I am waiting for my results... very unsure about the score.
    I think he does P2 as well - both in BPP Dublin.
    raffles

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭noeleenred

Thanks for the replies guys.

Does anyone else rate Liam Doran, I must do some research on him.

I see Dave O'Donoghue from independent colleges teaches F7, would you recommend him?

I'm pretty sure I won't be going back to David, he's a good guy but not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭aassddff

I went to BPP for F7 but failed, had heard good things about Dave O'Donoghue so went to him the last sitting, I found his style of lecturing to be fantastic I actually undestood consolidation
    Good luck with the results you may pass as that often happens with these exams. If you do have to repeat go to Dave O'Donoghue

Thanks for the advise aassddff, can't believe only two weeks to go for the results. Good luck with them

• Advertisement

Hi NoeleenRed
    How did they go for you in the end? I am over the moon here got 67% in F7 and 53% in F8, great to have them out of the way

I'm delighted too, got 54% in F8 and 59% in F7, I can't believe it. Woo hoo. Now, I'm trying to decide whether to do F9 and P1 or P2. What are you going to do?

Well done on your result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Evertonia

Don'ty know if any of you are doing auditing, but if you are highly recommend Shaun Browne (BPP Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Evertonia wrote: »
    Don'ty know if any of you are doing auditing, but if you are highly recommend Shaun Browne (BPP Dublin)

Seconded, I had a mental block with auditing and it took me a few attempts to get past it. Shawn was a brilliant help to me during this time and I would highly recommend him.

As an aside, I'm thinking of sitting my exams in the Dundalk centre this time around as it's a shorter commute for me. Does anybody know where the centre is? I'm thinking it's the IT but not 100%.

I just passed F8, audit with Shaun Brown, he is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

The testing centre in Dundalk is in the Fairways Hotel. It's the Dublin side of Dundalk just off the motorway, I find it much better then commuting into the city on the morning.

I passed F7 with James Browne at DBS, I found his approach very good and would recommend him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 accas

Liam is very good at P2 and P4, Dave is good at P7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 accas

By the way, Liam and Dave are both in Independent College.

Agree with that. I had Dave O'Donoghue at Independent Colleges for F7 and F8 and I will be going back to him for P7 found him to be excellent and I believe that P7 is turning into an accounting paper. Not sure which other option to choose but I have 6 months to think about it. I have signed up at IC for F9, P1 and P2 and looking forward to an exciting 3 months:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 maciejowy

I would recommend Dave O'Donoghue from Independent for F7, had him last sitting in Dec 08 and passed with 63 points which is very good for me.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 zhuluo1921

I would like to know what study manuals does Independent College use? Do they use either textbooks of BPP or Kaplan?

Independent Colleges use their own books published by International Financial Publishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 zhuluo1921

noeleenred wrote: »
    Independent Colleges use their own books published by International Financial Publishing.
    Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ellips

Hi,

i am preparing for the F8 exam in June. Can't afford classes this time so using BPP Study Text which unfortunately is UK (although sold as IRL on their website).

Anyone who has sat this exam - how did you study and what material did you use for the specific principles that apply in Ireland? Does anyone have a summary of the main differences between the UK and IRL that would help me avoid studying the irrelevant bits from the book or can you recommend a book to use instead of the BPP one?

Any advice is welcome, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Bumping this up... Doing f7 this summer in Dublin Any recommendations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

I did F7 in DBS with James and Browne and unlike the other guy, I didn't like his teaching style at all. I got the impression that he was trying to wing it a lot of the times even with lots of experience and didn't find his teaching style effective at all. During revision, he would only do a max 3 questions a day, so I ended up not going cuz I found it easier that I do it myself and I could do much more questions alone.

I've noticed since then that he's been replaced with a different guy. I've always been with DBS and had no major issues with any other lecturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Are BPP still doing classes in Dublin. Cant see any info about it on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

otterj wrote: »
    Are BPP still doing classes in Dublin. Cant see any info about it on their website

I don't think so. Independent Colleges use BPP texts as well as their own study notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Tony_Yeboah

I went to Dave O'Donoghue's classes for F7 last year (independent colleges) and thought he was excellent. Very easy to listen to and will cover a lot of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

I went to Dave O'Donoghue's classes for F7 last year (independent colleges) and thought he was excellent. Very easy to listen to and will cover a lot of questions.

Agreed, I struggled badly with F7, finally passed it after doing the revision course with Dave O'Donoghue in Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sharkbuster

otterj wrote: »
    Bumping this up... Doing f7 this summer in Dublin Any recommendations

I did P2 in Griffith, having struggled with F7 (only one I failed and barely scraped it the second time) and found Reg Callannan to be excellent. Very exam focussed and enthusiastic. AFAIK, he does F7 as well, so I'd certainly recommend him if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Har0ld x9

I did P2 in Griffith, having struggled with F7 (only one I failed and barely scraped it the second time) and found Reg Callannan to be excellent. Very exam focussed and enthusiastic. AFAIK, he does F7 as well, so I'd certainly recommend him if he does.

Plus 1 for Reg.. very exam focused & also very approachable.. when i done P2 with him he was also doing F7 in the main campus..

Advertisement