Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Martyn's dead!

Options
  • 29-01-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't really know which music forum to put this in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

monkey9 wrote: »
    Didn't really know which music forum to put this in

Not a huge fan. I just head them announce a song on the radio and I thought ''why are they playing him''....now I know. RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Talented guy, RIP.

Look out for his cover of Portishead's Glory Box (from The Church with One Bell). Stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I didn't like everything he did but when he was good, he was magic. Sorry I never went to see him in concert.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Knew his songs but never copped that he did them all if that makes sense. A shame as he was not in hindsight a top notch song writer and performer.
    I dont think a CD could ever do his music or voice justice.

RIP big man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Very Sad news ! :(

Got into him via Solid Air ! = Classic Album
    and Loved the use of DUB effects on "One World"

Did get to see him live a few times thank god.

RIP John " Go Easy" my man !

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Only have Solid Air myself, great album.

RIP John :(

Thats twice this week I've said that for a musician, the other being Charles Cooper from Telefon Tel Aviv. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

John Martyn: Johnny Too Bad
    20 Mar 2009, 22:00 on BBC Four

BBC FOUR pays tribute to musical maverick John Martyn, who died at the age of 60 on 29th January 2009, with an intimate documentary portrait originally transmitted in 1994. This honest and often blackly hilarious film shows Martyn at home in Ireland, during the lead-up to and aftermath of an operation to have one of his legs amputated below the knee.
    Contributors include sometime collaborator and buddy Phil Collins, the late Robert Palmer, Ralph McTell, Island Records founder Chris Blackwell, fellow hellraiser bassist Danny Thompson, John's ex-wife Beverley Martyn and younger generation fan Beth Orton.
    We see a man incapable of compromising his creative vision, from his folk club roots in the Sixties, through a career of continuous musical experimentation. Along the way there is a surreal roll-call of accidents and incidents, including a collision with a cow.

Saw this recently, excellent documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RAMAN

First saw him at a Paul Weller gig and then went to see him in Galway at the Roisin Dubh, both great sets. I for one will miss him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

I remember seeing this documentary a number of years ago on VHS and would love to see it again.

Does anyone know where I could get a copy? Maybe someone has it recorded and we could work something out?

I'm a huge fan and I'd really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

fattestman wrote: »
    I remember seeing this documentary a number of years ago on VHS and would love to see it again.

Does anyone know where I could get a copy? Maybe someone has it recorded and we could work something out?

I'm a huge fan and I'd really appreciate it.

I'm not sure this docu was ever released on dvd or VHS. The one I mentioned was first transmitted in 2006, so you must be thinking of another one. It's a really interesting docu and a must see for any John Martyn fan. I can send you on a copy if you PM your address. I also have the Live In Dublin concert (1987) that I can put onto a dvd too.

Edit The documentary Johnny Too Bad was actually made the same time as Martyn getting his leg amputated and also showed his comeback gig in Leap, Cork. So it had to have been made around 2003/04. My above post "with an intimate documentary portrait originally transmitted in 1994." can't possibly be right now. It was definitely first transmitted by the BBC in 2006, which would make sense.

Advertisement