Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Tax Query

Options
  • 29-01-2009 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

I have bought a new car and my old car is for sale and currently
    off the road. The tax is up on the old car this month.

I was told I will need to inform the Gardai that the car is off the road
    so that I will not be caught for back tax in time.

Is this true? Is there a form I need to fill in to confirm that the car is
    not in use?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

oddone wrote: »

not in use?

Thanks

Yes, all true

not in use?

Thanks

I don't think anybody bothers informing the Guards that the car is off the road. They just get it signed off the road when they want to tax it again.

I remember before I got multiple letters telling me my car wasnt taxed(Didn't feel like giving the government any money for a few months) I just binned the letters and heard nothing about it. Then went to the guards and got the car signed off the road when I wanted to tax it again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

as above, just leave it sitting there in your driveway and ignore the renewal letters.
    when you sell it or want to use it again, you get the tax form signed in your local garda station stating it was off the road for whatever it was and then you renew it from that month onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I confirm that, just back from the motor tax office, when they saw signed paper they didnt ask additional q's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

not in use?

Thanks

You don't have to worry about tax for this car. When the new owner goes to tax the car, he/she will fill in the previous owner section. He/she will just be liable for the tax from the start of the month when they became the registered owner.
    You, as the previous owner, do not have to get anything signed by Gardai.
    Just make sure you send off the VLC to shannon as soon as you sell it.

And don't worry about declaring the car off the road now, there's no point. You would only need the Garda to sign the form if you intended to tax it again yourself after the tax being out for more than 1 month. Hope that makes sense.

As an aside, it may be worth your while taxing it for 3 or 6 months from a buyers point of view, might help it sell. It's always a + to have a bit of tax on a car when you buy it.:)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement