Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wages drop

Options
  • 29-01-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Was just wondering if my employer is allow to drop our wages saying economic down turn, then lay a couple of people off and now just advertised for two new staff? would have thought wages go back up first:mad::mad::rolleyes::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

did your employer fire them or made them redundant?

if they were made redundant the exact jobs that were made redunant no longer exist so the new ads for staff would be for different roles within the company.

if they were fired and others were hired to directly replace them tehy would have a case.

as for reduced wages it depends on whats on your contract says, is there a specific amount mentioned, you agreeing to the reduction, or your union, so long as they obey the minimum wage rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Ginger83

How about this- four of my workmates have been given notice to finish work. Their positions are still there, and myself and 3 other workmates are being expected to fill those positions as well as our own!

How would that work then??? Their jobs are not being done away with!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ginger83 wrote: »
    How about this- four of my workmates have been given notice to finish work. Their positions are still there, and myself and 3 other workmates are being expected to fill those positions as well as our own!

How would that work then??? Their jobs are not being done away with!!!
    They are though. If the work of 8 people can be done by 4, then clearly 4 of those jobs would qualify as being "redundant". Your role is changing, and their roles are being done away with, leaving 4 jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

This is what happens when you have high unemployment and weak bargainihg power.

Advertisement