Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

expansion for taste of wine

Options
  • 28-01-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

ok. iam going to level with everyone her.

i have only drinking wine for about a year.

i started off drinking Black tower.

anyway all that aside. i am currently drinking penfolds chardonay. have not moved to red yet.

but can anyone recommend me a good all rounder for under the 15 euro mark.

i am looking for light , not too dry.

a friend of mine recommeed a new zealand wine. astrolab or something. cant seem to find it
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The best way to find a wine you like is to try as many as possible.

Have you identified a certain grape/wine you like? You should try some chardonnay from different regions and different suppliers and see how they compare with the penfolds one that you're currently drinking. The choices are nearly endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i know where you are coming from but .... there is a lot of crap out there too. i would prefer to get a wine which someone else thought was nice rather than picking up a bottle of vinegar.

i like reisling... obviously from black tower. chardonnay is good.

i like getting a good recommened bottle and enjoying it.

just need some suggestions.

i need a new friday night in front of the tv bottle.... is you know what i mean.

nothing too heavy or dry. easy going.

thats why i like the reisling..... light , sweet. i want to mature my taste some what.

i thought penfold to great wine. but my knowledge is bad and it could be bad. thats why i would like suggestions.

also if you think a certain wine goes great with a certain food i will accept that too as i like cooking too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Martron wrote: »
    ok. iam going to level with everyone her.

i have only drinking wine for about a year.

i started off drinking Black tower.

anyway all that aside. i am currently drinking penfolds chardonay. have not moved to red yet.

but can anyone recommend me a good all rounder for under the 15 euro mark.

i am looking for light , not too dry.

a friend of mine recommeed a new zealand wine. astrolab or something. cant seem to find it
    Austrolabe is available from O'Briens and yes their wines are lovely. Mostly sauv blanc availanble so may not be to your taste. Their riesling is also nice. If you like Penfolds Chardy, good on you. Chardonnay is a fantastic varietal and all that ABC ''Anything but chardonnay'' snobbish siht is just that. If you want to stick with new world chardonnay and try a really good one, try Wolf Blass President selection at €15.99. It's non region specific but is a nicely worked chardonnay. Veranda from SQuinn, a chilean Chardonnay is also nice. Also try wines from O'Briens and supermarkets from France with Macon Villages or Macon Lugny on the labels. These are also chardonnay as is Chablis and white burgundy. Many available at about €10-12. Try O'Briens for Chanson Macon Villages at €10. It's their biggest selling wine. And always drink what you like, the way you like it and enjoy it.

ok wolf blass..... president i know i dont like taht. not that level yet,. i find it quite.... harsh .

Thank you so much for the suggestions.

macon village i have seen that a lot alright.

might have to do some testing this weekend alright!!!

for scientific purposes of course

i know this is a very complex topic to talk on but i appreciate everyones opinion. and i know personal tastes my vary.

its trtial and error i understand. but everyones sufggestions will b emy building block....

you know yourself if you dont try something new you will drink the same ol grape juice the whole time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

If you go into a wine shop where they have someone who knows who they are talking about, ask them for some advice. They will have plenty to offer you in the fruitier, sweeter whites, full-bodied chardonnays and other varietals and often have several bottles open for you to taste before you buy which helps!

If you want to venture into reds you could try a gamay (that is what is used for Beaujolais) which is light, fruity and usually not that dry. If not in a wine shop take a look in M&S where they have a good inexpensive range of wines to experiment with - and keep trying different ones! They usually have a short description to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Some of the South African and Argentinian Chardonnays are nice.

Long Mountain Chardonnay or Nederburg Sauvignon Blanc are not bad. Kind of past them now myself, but they are nice easy to drink wines.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

You're off the Black Tower so that's a good start.

I think Beaujolais is always a good place to start with reds. Their light, fruity, very easy drinking and don't have to be expensive. Beaujolais is in the Rhone in France and most of them are made from the Gamay grape - not very trendy or even that well known, but really good. New Zealand Pinot Noir's are also a good starting point but they are pricey.

Can't knock Penfold's Chardonnay. There are some fantastic oaked and unoaked Chardonnay's coming out of Australia and Chile. Try a South African Chenin Blanc. Generally very accessible, soft and again, easy drinking.

Keep trying new things. Life's too short to be drinking crap wine or the same wine! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MattKane wrote: »
    Try a South African Chenin Blanc. Generally very accessible, soft and again, easy drinking.

I'd second that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

thanks for all the suggestions i will definately try some this weekend. last weekend.... was ruined by heineken ..... enough said!!!

• Advertisement

Tried the Austrolabe. nice. i liked it "spicy" was nice though.

when well with my risotto.

keep the sugggestions coming.

anything to go nice with sushi?

Advertisement