Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern light over Dublin now??

Options
  • 28-01-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Bright streak of light going East-West over Dublin North city right now? Anyone know what that is. Looks a bit like the Northern lights to me

.. It's getting dimmer :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

It keeps getting dimmer and brighter again. At first I thought it could be an aeroplane contrail but it's staying there quite a while and I normally only see them at night if there's a bright Moon (which there currently isn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Iceland went bankrupt so the Aurora Borealis took their business elsewhere...
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    Bright streak of light going East-West over Dublin North city right now? Anyone know what that is. Looks a bit like the Northern lights to me

International Space station.

Timetable for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anyone take any photos?

No, didn't have a camera handy unfortunately. Definitely wasn't the ISS - I've seen that plenty of times. It was a thick and constant band of white light which looked a bit like an aeroplane contrail but much thicker. It may have been a contrail but I've never seen one so bright in the city (and without a bright moon reflecting onto it).. Maybe it was the Sun catching it, even though the Sun had set about an hour earlier at ground level. Still not sure why it would have gotten dimmer, nearly to the point of disappearing and then come back again 5 minutes later brighter than ever. Also, it just went to a point in the sky and then was cut off sharply at it's Western end which I don't normally see in contrails.

Maybe it was one of these (or something similar since they only seem to occur in Summer). Wish I'd gotten a picture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nehpets5555

Yeah i seen this too, never thought of getting a photo though. T'was odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

International Space station.

Timetable for the week

Whats the best magnitude??

Carroller wrote: »
    Whats the best magnitude??

The brightest it will be for the next week is magnitude -1.7 which occurs tonight at 18:00:49... The lower the magnitude, the brighter the object. According to Stellarium, Venus is about -4.45 at the moment which is very bright! (as anybody who's been watching it for the past few weeks will have seen - It's starting to look like a little mini-sun!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Croke Park were practicing their light show sure it wasn't that?

Linguo wrote: »
    Croke Park were practicing their light show sure it wasn't that?

Noticed that when I left the office (just off Dorset St) last night. There were all sorts of big spot lights waving and flickering about... so yes, there's a very good chance that's what it was. They may have had them pointing out in the one direction and turning the brightness gradually up/down :o Oh, the shame

I have seen the Northern lights in Dunboyne twice before (really! - not a plane or a light show coming outta croke park!! :rolleyes:) but now that I think of it, city centre on a murky January evening was pretty unlikely :pac:

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Noticed that when I left the office (just off Dorset St) last night. There were all sorts of big spot lights waving and flickering about... so yes, there's a very good chance that's what it was. They may have had them pointing out in the one direction and turning the brightness gradually up/down :o Oh, the shame

I have seen the Northern lights in Dunboyne twice before (really! - not a plane or a light show coming outta croke park!! :rolleyes:) but now that I think of it, city centre on a murky January evening was pretty unlikely :pac:

Thanks!

yeah i remeber that, must be over 15 years ago, the gaps in the clouds had different colours, some were orange and some were blue, it was on the news at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Wow would have loved to see that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I saw this too last night, but from where I was it looked like it was around the port area...I thought it may have been the O2. I dont think it coulda been Northern Lights as it seemed like it was shining onto the clouds from the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭G-Virus

????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

I saw this, but from Cavan.
    Ive seen northern lights before and this looked like them though not as colourful or bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭G-Virus

the is producing all sorts with bright lights to loads of UFO sightings

Advertisement