Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question, not legal advice

Options
  • 28-01-2009 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to work out in my head the reasoning behind this.
    A woman, feels threatened by a man, .
    This man is her ex partner, and also father to her children.
    Yet, she cant get a protection order against him.because they have kids.
    I cant see how having kids effects it.
    If shes afraid , then surely its her right to protect herself.It seem there has to be a incident before things escalate, which by then its too late.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

cathy01 wrote: »
    I'm trying to work out in my head the reasoning behind this.
    A woman, feels threatened by a man, .
    This man is her ex partner, and also father to her children.
    Yet, she cant get a protection order against him.because they have kids.
    I cant see how having kids effects it.
    If shes afraid , then surely its her right to protect herself.It seem there has to be a incident before things escalate, which by then its too late.

Whoever told you that is wrong, you can get a Protection Order even if you have kids (or at least you can where I'm practising) a Protection order is a temporary order until a hearing for a Safety Order or Barring order can be arranged, it's not a long term solution in itself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There are criteria about obtaining barring/safety/protection orders where the people are not married. They have to have lived together for certain periods and there can also be issues about who owns the property etc. Because there are a number of issues here, each person in this situation should seek the advice of their solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

ok, maybe a second opinion is needed.I cant see how a person is allowed to feel threatened and nothing can be done about it.Its mad.Does the ex partner need to have been convicted of an offence against the person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

cathy01 wrote: »
    ok, maybe a second opinion is needed.I cant see how a person is allowed to feel threatened and nothing can be done about it.Its mad.Does the ex partner need to have been convicted of an offence against the person?

Honestly, if you ring the Family office of your local District Court, they'll explain all this to you. If you can't afford a solicitor, they will let you know how to go about getting legal aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Hi thanks for that, but its no for me, and is more a question as to law as opposed to looking for legal advice, as I know thats not allowed on thei board.But..that said, all pointers are good.So thanks for the info.
    Cathy

• Advertisement
Advertisement