Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are wind turbines always white

Options
  • 28-01-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭

As the title states, why are they not built in other colours too?

One of the frequent objections to wind farms is their visual impact on the landscape, which is understandable since white stands out clearly from miles away.

Would one way of lessening this be to paint them more appropriate "natural" colour to blend in better, i.e. light blue or turquoise to blend better with sea/sky? Local to me there is a house that backs onto the bay and it is painted blue/ aquamarine type colour and the greatly lessens the impact it has on the backdrop of the sea view. Or alternatively turn them into "art" painting them random colours or multiple colours/designs?

I understand safety concerns for shipping and aircraft need to be taken into account as such white is a good colour for this to make them easier to see, but in this case could large wind farms not have only their perimeter turbines in white and the rest camouflaged/decorated?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Birds being able to see them would be another factor i'd say. White being the least visually intrusive colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

nomadic wrote: »
    White being the least visually intrusive colour.
    I'd think the opposite, white is a very intrusive colour, particularly for on shore farms where there would be little white in the natural landscape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Sure but you need the colour to stand out. White being the most acceptable of available colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Rather oddly, during WW2, they used to paint fighter aircraft they used for reconnaissance purposes PINK so as not to stand out too much in the sky. They reached this rather odd conclusion by experiment apparently, and painting them white, grey or blue didn't achieve the same effect.

Alun wrote: »
    Rather oddly, during WW2, they used to paint fighter aircraft they used for reconnaissance purposes PINK so as not to stand out too much in the sky. They reached this rather odd conclusion by experiment apparently, and painting them white, grey or blue didn't achieve the same effect.

Even in your post the pink blends in very well:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cat&mouse

To do with the Clowds & Sun. When it'suny (well irish sun iif?) you can't see the turbines. Try it when the sun comes out , you won't see the turbines, as if they were green they would stand out . Seriously, not joking:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Alun wrote: »

Been watching QI by any chance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Actually , they paint the bottom of them green to blend in with the grass. As my lecturer put it - like putting lipstick on a pig. This is a photo of a turbine in the Arklow Bank

I don't see any problem with them being white - I think they're nice to look at. Failte Ireland did a survey of tourists and they consider them a sign of a developed, sustainable country.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

Five new wind turbines just sprang up out of the ground about a mile from where i live in south kilkenny with the bottoms painted green, it looks like they grew there. They look beautiful and cant wait to see them in action. Much rather be looking at them than ugly grey pylons everywhere. I taught it was the rotating blades that were a danger to birds rather than the white/green towers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I taught it was the rotating blades that were a danger to birds rather than the white/green towers?
    It's a common myth that wind turbines are dangerous to birds on any significant scale (as compared to all that habitat loss, pollution and er...hunting?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭slagger

taconnol wrote: »
    Actually , they paint the bottom of them green to blend in with the grass. As my lecturer put it - like putting lipstick on a pig. This is a photo of a turbine in the Arklow Bank

I don't see any problem with them being white - I think they're nice to look at. Failte Ireland did a survey of tourists and they consider them a sign of a developed, sustainable country.

Do you have a link to that survey?

White is an intrusive colour. Airtricity's Kings mountain wind generating plant in Sligo can be seen from Killala in Co. Mayo a distance of about 20km

I don't. I was at a presentation by the head of the Environmental department in Failte Ireland.

They have reseach data on their website, but I'm not sure if it's up yet as it was quite recently.

It's a common myth that wind turbines are dangerous to birds on any significant scale (as compared to all that habitat loss, pollution and er...hunting?)

A singe mortality of an endangered species can have quite a significant effect on a population.

Don’t for get the bats

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14593

That is disingenuous to the hunters. The majority of them (especially local gun clubs) in my opinion are far more committed environmentalists than the desk jockey environmental scientist who considers a three-day study of a 100 hectares of upland in the middle of winter sufficient to complete a report for the Flora and fauna section of an Environmental Impact Assessment for a wind generating station.

Sorry slagger, but you're flogging a dead horse. No expert worth their salt is banging on about bird mortalities and wind turbines. And I can tell right now, no matter what I post, you're not going to change your mind.

Your attempt to portray hunters as more environmentally committed than "desk jockey" environmentalists (as if no one can get an academic or professional qualification in environmental
    studies...) is weak.

Whatever about the intrusiveness of white turbines, I personally think that the effects of climate change and the offset pollution from burning fossil fuels would be just a little bit more intrusive.

I don't. I was at a presentation by the head of the Environmental department in Failte Ireland.

They have reseach data on their website, but I'm not sure if it's up yet as it was quite recently.

That's interesting as I was in conservation with the enviromental section of Failte Ireland and they told me that they were concerned about the proliferation of wind farms on the west coast Ireland

slagger wrote: »
    That's interesting as I was in conservation with the enviromental section of Failte Ireland and they told me that they were concerned about the proliferation of wind farms on the west coast Ireland

What do you mean you were "in conservation" - do you mean conversation? and when?

The whole point of the research was not to base important decisions on hunches, guesses, opinions or gut instincts but to base them on real data. And the result was that tourists do not mind wind turbines, in fact they like them.

Talk to Paddy Mathews and he'll tell you about it.

Sorry slagger, but you're flogging a dead horse. No expert worth their salt is banging on about bird mortalities and wind turbines. And I can tell right now, no matter what I post, you're not going to change your mind.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/objection_tcm9-152290.pdf
    taconnol wrote:
    Your attempt to portray hunters as more environmentally committed than "desk jockey" environmentalists (as if no one can get an academic or professional qualification in environmental
    studies...) is weak.

Have you ever talked to members of local gun clubs on the work that they complete (without funding and on their own time)?
    Whatever about the intrusiveness of white turbines, I personally think that the effects of climate change and the offset pollution from burning fossil fuels would be just a little bit more intrusive.

The evidence is pointing to limited co2 mitigation by wind power generating stations. Is it worth destroying upland environments for these stations?

What do you mean you were "in conservation" - do you mean conversation? and when?

The whole point of the research was not to base important decisions on hunches, guesses, opinions or gut instincts but to base them on real data. And the result was that tourists do not mind wind turbines, in fact they like them.

Yes I mean converstion. Last September 2008. Where's the evidence that tourist do not mind wind turbines

Good pic - thanks.

I have no problem really with them being white. I just think it would be novel/different if they painted some different colours in certain locations. A single red/yellow (for example) turbine amongst a load of white ones would look quite good IMO. Lend an artsy look to the whole farm.

A quick search found the following:
    The future of Irish tourism is inextricably linked to the quality of the environment. Our scenic landscapes, coastline, rivers and lakes,and cultural heritage are the bedrock upon which Irish tourism has been built. The economic viability and competitiveness of the Irish tourism industry can only be sustained if the quality of these resources is maintained. Now, more than ever, Ireland’s tourism industry relies on strong and appropriate environmental policies.

http://www.failteireland.ie/getdoc/90fe82c6-fd23-497e-885b-72e8f37bf91f/Failte-Ireland-s-Environmental-Action-Plan-200-(1)

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/54C78A1E-4E96-4E28-A77A-3226220DF2FC/27125/FailteIreland.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

amcalester wrote: »
    Been watching QI by any chance?
    YEP! I've been rumbled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Racism?

If you note, most of that document are claims of what will happen in the future, not what has happened in the past. ie, it is speculation.

I would consider this to be a more impartial, authoritave review of the issues:
    http://www.sei.ie/uploadedfiles/RenewableEnergy/AssessmentMethodologyBirdsIreland.pdf

A quote from the section dealing with collisions:
    Overall it is clear that birds are generally able to avoid collisions and do not simply blindly fly into wind turbines. Collision rates typically in range of only 1 in 1,000-10,000 bird flights through wind farm, even in studies such as Zeebrugge where relatively high numbers of collisions have been reported. In some cases they are considerably lower, such as at the offshore wind farm at Utgrunden, where over 500,000 eider flights through the wind farm study area have been observed without a single collision being seen (Petterson and Stalin 2003). Studies using radar tracking have helped to provide further information on birds’ general ability to avoid collisions. Dirksen et al. (1998), for example, showed that Pochard Aythya ferina and Tufted Duck Aythya fuligula flew regularly through a wind farm in the Netherlands at night under moonlight but flew around the turbines at greater distance from them when dark and foggy.

Have you ever talked to members of local gun clubs on the work that they complete (without funding and on their own time)?
    No. I'm not the one setting up the "race" between hunters and environmentalists. I think hunting is a very environmentally friendly activity and is certainly a better way of getting food than buying it in Tesco's. There have been issues with some hunters, such as those who want licences for deer in Kerry but I like to think they're in the minority.

The evidence is pointing to limited co2 mitigation by wind power generating stations. Is it worth destroying upland environments for these stations?
    Do you have stats to back that up?
    Explain how wind turbines "destroy" upland environments.
    Yes I mean converstion. Last September 2008. Where's the evidence that tourist do not mind wind turbines
    Well the research was completed in mid-October. I have already stated that it doesn't appear to be available on their website yet. You're more than welcome to ring up, ask to speak to Paddy Matthews and he'll tell you all about it. I don't see what else I can do.
    I have no problem really with them being white. I just think it would be novel/different if they painted some different colours in certain locations. A single red/yellow (for example) turbine amongst a load of white ones would look quite good IMO. Lend an artsy look to the whole farm.
    I'd quite like that too but can you imagine the reaction from the locals??
    The first document dates back to 2007 or earlier so won't have benefited from the new research.

And as you can guess, nor did the second document, which dates back to 2006. Paddy himself expressed surprise about the results of the survey, saying that Failte Ireland would have to rethink some of their stances but that that was the point of carrying out the research

Oh wait...what's this..??

http://www.failteireland.ie/getdoc/33ee5fd0-394a-4a91-a153-77d9b728be29/Wind-Farm-P-D-F

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wasn't there a claim that the ESB wind farms took 3 months to break even on carbon

Wasn't there a claim that the ESB wind farms took 3 months to break even on carbon

IIRC it talked about in other thread on here somewhere and was around that figure too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

http://www.bwea.com/media/news/tourism.html

Not specifically about Ireland but it still applies here.
    Nine out of ten tourists visiting some of Scotland's top beauty spots say the presence of wind farms makes no difference to the enjoyment of their holiday, and twice as many people would return to an area because of the presence of a wind farm than would stay away, according to a poll carried out by MORI Scotland.

http://www.bwea.com/media/news/tourism.html

Not specifically about Ireland but it still applies here.

British wind energy association not entirely impartial.

http://www.swap.org.uk/index.asp?pageid=86547

Are you referring to the payback on the development?

No problem with that as there is a well written report that refers to 3 to six months carbon payback on development. Can't find the link, but its not what I am referring too.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/229725/0062213.pdf

(not the specfic report. It is another report by the scottish gov. just can't find in my files!!)

tannacol haven't forgotten about you will reply to your posts later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

tannacol haven't forgotten about you will reply to your posts later

You (and Oldtree) realise there is an EDIT function right?

Advertisement