Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Cancellation Fee, Is this something NEW?

Options
  • 28-01-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everybody,

I have broadband and phonel with UTV. I want to change my provider but they have locked my line. I have already been more than 2 years with them so I am not in any contract with them.

When I rang yjem, they said there is 30 Euro cancellation fee as part of terms and condition, but I am quite sure when I placed my order there was no such a fee for cancellation as I read the whole terms.

They have recently updated their website and its now stating there is a 30 Euro cancellation fee even if you are not in contract, but this was not there before.

Can anyone confirm if there was any charges when you canceled their account with UTV, Is there anyway to find out what was stating in their website before regarding this. Is this legal at all there there is a cancellation fee even if you are not in contract.

Any Help or Suggestion is welcomed.
    Regards,
    Mehdi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

They have had this for quite some time, at least two years. Of course if you write the cost off over the first year it comes to a mere €2.50 a month.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nope its been around for sometime, they charge it if you migrate or wish to change packages, abit of a pain to be honest,.

The old and new T&C's are on there website if you have a look

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ah yes once upon a time UTV were innovative and the darlings of boards.ie!

Hard to believe now though. As Cabaal points out at least they have the various Terms and Conditions on their website and it should be possible to find out what was in force when you signed up. Its a lousy practise though having to pay a ransom to escape. Imagine if Eircom had something like that in place!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dub45 wrote: »
    Imagine if Eircom had something like that in place!

It would be anti-competitive, if eircom had a "leaving us" fee. Strange then, that it's not anti-competitive for UTV to have one. Just like, when you get a phone line installed by eircom, you can immediately move to any other company who will lock you into a 12 month contract (even on voice only), where as eircom are only allowed to impose the contract on broadband or bundled call services, not on the line and standard calls (as this would be anti-competitive).

We all like to have a good bitch at eircom, but there are a few things, like these, that really don't make any sense. UTV's leaving them fee should really be investigated, if only we had a regulator.

• Advertisement

It is a fee that eircom charge UTV when a customer moves their line to another provider. As I pointed out, it works out at €2.50 a month for 1 year (the minimum term) which still works out cheaper than the majority of other providers. Can't see how they could be fairer than that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Onikage wrote: »
    It is a fee that eircom charge UTV when a customer moves their line to another provider. As I pointed out, it works out at €2.50 a month for 1 year (the minimum term) which still works out cheaper than the majority of other providers. Can't see how they could be fairer than that.

They could be fairer and simply not charge it. It is quite ludicrous to have to pay a fee when you leave a company and is obviously meant as a disincentive.
    The best disincentive which UTV used to appreciate is to supply an excellent product before the 'cute hoorism' crept in sadly.

Eircom charging them a fee is irrelevant when it comes to someone ceasing their dsl altogether. And besides that the idea of a contract is to spread the costs over lengthy period.

dub45 wrote: »
    They could be fairer and simply not charge it. It is quite ludicrous to have to pay a fee when you leave a company and is obviously meant as a disincentive.
    The best disincentive which UTV used to appreciate is to supply an excellent product before the 'cute hoorism' crept in sadly.

Eircom charging them a fee is irrelevant when it comes to someone ceasing their dsl altogether. And besides that the idea of a contract is to spread the costs over lengthy period.

We'll agree to disagree then. I am happy to pay €30 once-off when I leave if it means saving more than €30 over the course of a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Onikage wrote: »
    We'll agree to disagree then. I am happy to pay €30 once-off when I leave if it means saving more than €30 over the course of a year.

Happy to pay a cancellation fee of €30:eek::eek::eek:

Sorry but I simply don't understand that. Unfortunately that's why organisations like UTV get away with this sort of thing.

I also recently left UTV and found out about this (who honestly reads the t&cs). I'm not pleased about it and I'm certainly not happy to have to pay it. Had I made an effort to read the t&cs I would NEVER have subscribed to UTV in the first place.

MackQ wrote: »
    Happy to pay a cancellation fee of €30:eek::eek::eek:

Sorry but I simply don't understand that.

Quite simple. I calculated the total cost of ownership for the minimum term and it was still cheaper than any other provider. Not a difficult concept. If you phrased it like "would you prefer to pay €320 plus a €30 cancellation fee or €400 all inclusive" which would you go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

MackQ wrote: »
    who honestly reads the t&cs
    If the broadband forum teaches people nothing else, it should teach to READ THE T&C's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scn

Sorry I know this thread is old but just got last bill from UPC which included an "Extra Charge" of €29.99 - when I rang I was informed that it was the cancellation fee & is clearly laid out in T&C (it's not exactly advertised - unless you go into the "legal" section which I didnt). I signed up on the phone (as their website was down) and there was no mention of this charge - I think it is outrageous to have to pay to leave.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems? I have cancelled my DD for the moment until I decide what to do. Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

scn, this thread is about UTV, if you have a query about UPC then start a new thread please,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement