Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland, College Green

Options
  • 28-01-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I know this seems a bit random but I said I would put it online. I was in the College Green Bank of Ireland yesterday and found out that they actually do a tour of the pre-1800 House of Lords there. Apparently no Irish people realise its there, its advertised in German, American and British tour books but not in Irish.

It's free, it only takes half an hour, it's informative and is pretty good.

There are 3 tours a day, 10.30, 11.30 and 1.45. Seriously a hidden gem of Irish political history and worth the while:)

Sorry if this seems like advertising but I love little history spots and don't want to see any of them being closed due to lack of demand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Ah yes, went as part of our trainsition year outing. Very beautiful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Yes, well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I know this seems a bit random but I said I would put it online. I was in the College Green Bank of Ireland yesterday and found out that they actually do a tour of the pre-1800 House of Lords there. Apparently no Irish people realise its there, its advertised in German, American and British tour books but not in Irish.

It's free, it only takes half an hour, it's informative and is pretty good.

There are 3 tours a day, 10.30, 11.30 and 1.45. Seriously a hidden gem of Irish political history and worth the while:)

Sorry if this seems like advertising but I love little history spots and don't want to see any of them being closed due to lack of demand.

Well you've certainly thought me something new wolfpawnat!! I never realised there was such a tour, its a building I've always admired from the outside! I shall have to wonder inside on my next Dublin trip!

Thanks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Oh ya and I forgot to say that for people who just like looking at these places but dislike tours, the room is open for public viewing at your own leisure during bank hours except for when the tour is on.

It really is lovely but as I said before no Irish people seem to know its there. It really is worth the 25-30 minutes and the tour guide is very friendly and out going.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is it open on saturdays or sundays as well, or just during the week?

• Advertisement

Sadly I think it is only open Monday to Friday in accordance to bank hours. But I am sure all it would take is a phonecall to the bank to sort out that.

Never actually asked the tour guide! Would have been a good question. Because the tour would lose out on Saturday and Sunday visitors not to mention everyone on Bank Holiday Mondays wanting to get out of the house for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Thanks for reminding me of this. We brought rellies into the building for a look around and saw that they did tours - we unfortunately missed the last one for that day... the room that you can go into is worth going into to .. there are two big pictures (like large mats .. the word escapes me :o....) - one is of the battle of the boyne... its really impressive.... thanks for the reminder...

justagirl wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me of this. We brought rellies into the building for a look around and saw that they did tours - we unfortunately missed the last one for that day... the room that you can go into is worth going into to .. there are two big pictures (like large mats .. the word escapes me :o....) - one is of the battle of the boyne... its really impressive.... thanks for the reminder...

The word on thep of your tongue is tapestries:)

Yes there are 2 from when it was the house of lords, one is the battle of the boyne and the other is of vinegar hill.

Anyone with a few minutes to spare should take a glance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The word on thep of your tongue is tapestries:)

:o Thank you!.. oh dear ....

Advertisement