Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway surfers

Options
  • 28-01-2009 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I live in Galway usually surf the breaks in Clare, but I have been noticing the odd person surfing a small swell occasionaly to the right of spiddal beach, has anyone found any other little breaks out along the Galway coast that they'd like to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leitrim lass

As they say in Connemara

is iad na muca ciuine a itheann an mhin...

have a sniff around!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

thats very helpful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

richiemack wrote: »
    I live in Galway usually surf the breaks in Clare, but I have been noticing the odd person surfing a small swell occasionaly to the right of spiddal beach, has anyone found any other little breaks out along the Galway coast that they'd like to share?

Fanore would be the nearest reliable wave unfortunately! I've seen people trying to surf Spiddal beach too, mostly out of desperation I think :p

Silverstrand near Bearna also gets waves occasionally, very poor quality though and usually only when the wind has been blowing strong and onshore for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

As they say in Connemara

is iad na muca ciuine a itheann an mhin...

have a sniff around!!!;)

So thats some type of pig that eats the meal.

I assume you're hinting that if you get out and look around along the coast, there are waves to be surfed given the right conditions.

Now this would be far easier than a drive to Fanore or Lahinch, must get out my map & go on a drive some day to check it out.
    There's gotta be something between Galway and Clifden.

As for Silverstrand, galway surfers use it for paddle session training when there's a stretch in the evening, usually includes an improvised game of surfboard polo - at least it did a couple of years ago, hope to get back involved this year.

I was walking the dog on Silverstrand last week, onshore breeze, but looked surfable for a beginner who only needs white water, ie me.

Would love to find somewhere close to the city - would make it far easier to get out more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 richy316

spidael works the odd time i think it need SW swell but sometimes doesnt get in through aran islands on mid-high tide but u need a big swell, ther are places out in cliften that work really well but like whtat was said above u'll have to go searching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

richy316 wrote: »
    spidael works the odd time i think it need SW swell but sometimes doesnt get in through aran islands on mid-high tide but u need a big swell, ther are places out in cliften that work really well but like whtat was said above u'll have to go searching

Yeah - I'd imagine it needs a pretty massive swell to make it all the way to Spideal.
    I'm aware that there's a couple of places out near Clifden, and while I haven't been there, I think I know where they are.
    What I'm wondering is, if there's somewhere a little closer to the city along the Connemara coast. I'm willing to go hunting it out some day, just want to know if there's anything out there at all worth looking for.

I understand there's the unwritten secret spot rules, but just an indication that I wouldn't be wasting my time would be helpful.;)

As far as I'm aware there's no-where to catch a good wave anywhere between the city and Inverin, unless you count the very rare good waves in Spiddal or Silverstrand. The nearest wave worth catching is Fanore, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Have had a few very good sessions in Galway, general area is from Inverin to out past Clifden...few good spots only ever 3 or 4 out max when I was down..not naming them but a good OS Map (ordance survey, a good investment for the whole country in fact) of the area is helpful, the roads with long grass in the middle have been known to hide a gem at the end....just keep close eye on swell directions and bit of imagination!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd love to find a few of these spots. Fanore is great if you have company, but as a beginner can be a bit daunting when on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭busbybhoy

• Advertisement

busbybhoy wrote: »

Are these guys active at all do you know? Might be fun to meet up with a new bunch of local surfers

Advertisement