Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrúdú Ceol Tíre exams with Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann

Options
  • 28-01-2009 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭

Scrúdú Ceol Tíre exams with Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann
    I have been bring my 2 kids to these exams for the past 2 yrs and will be doing the same again in a few weeks. The thought hit me, why not do it myself? – after all, I will be there, waiting for them to do their exam, might as well do it while Im there, might be an interesting experience and it would be great to get any feedback on my playing....
    So ive entered myself in for the exam!…I called my kids teacher, and she guessed that as Ive a few yrs experience she would play it safe and enter me in the junior cycle, which is about half way up the grade (there are 3 cycles, as far as I can see from their website, Elementary, junior and senior). For the Junior cycle level 3 exam I have to play a slow air, a jig, a hornpipe and a reel, plus have a “repertoire” of about 15 pieces ready to play. So here is what I have decided to play:
    Air: Ar Éirinn ní nEosfainn ce hi
    Hornpipe: The Galway Hornpipe.
    Reel: The Shannon Breeze.
    Jig: Humours of Enistymon.
    Plus a Repertoire (of 19 tunes, comprising 3 jigs, 2 hornpipes, 8 reels,1 barndance, 1 march, 1 setdance and a set of 3 polkas, as follows:
    Jigs:
    Mist Covered Mountain.
    Old Kilfanora Jig.
    The Kesh Jig
    Hornpipes:
    Off to California
    The Harvest Home.
    Reels:
    John Brennan’s (Silver Spire)
    Maid Behind the Bar.
    Miss Monaghan.
    The Boyne Hunt.
    The Concertina Reel.
    The Girl that broke my heart.
    The Masons Apron.
    The Mountain Road.
    Barn dance:
    If there weren't any women in the World.
    March:
    Brian Buru’s March.
    Set dance:
    The Three Sea Captains.
    Polkas:
    The Newmarket Set
    So…what do you guys think of an adult doing this exam, has anybody else my age done a similar exam, and what do ye think of the pieces I selected?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Wow, what an incredible list. Firsly, the very best of luck! Secondly, who cares if it's not what most people do at any age... it's a great way to make an accomplishment, it's involving you in the same event as your children, and you seem to enjoy the challenge, so be damned with anyone who thinks you shouldnt do it! :)

Let us know how you get on, and I hope you can get some constructive advice here. Sadly I cant offer more than encouragement in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Well I've done some of the exams myself, up to senior cycle 1 (I was too busy after that to complete the next level and never bothered going back to finish them off :o) and I also teach tin whistle and flute so I have to prepare people for the exams. You should be fine with those tunes. Just make sure you're prepared for the other elements of the exam too, such as clapping back a given rhythm, repeating a short melody and being able to talk about your interest in Irish music. Best of luck!

Advertisement