Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working with a bollox whom i hate

Options
  • 28-01-2009 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

(sorry for going unreg for this)
    I work with a guy whom i hate and whose behaviour is bordering on bullying. He is on the same grade as myself. we are in the public sector. My boss is fair(ish) and I have no doubt that if I was slacking (which I absolutely am not) then she would pull me up straight away. He, on the other hand is worse than a waste of space, because, not only does he do feck all, if he does do the slightest thing, its wrong and we (usually I) have to pick up after him. On top of that, his boss, who is equivalent to mine, always sides with him regardless and does no performance management. I have raised this with him, with his boss and with my boss and I cry at the tax payers money that is paying for his and his boss' incompetence. I am so frustrated.
    I suppose the question here is (1) how the heck to take it further within the organisation (as it is definitely immoral at least, if not illegal what they are doing, or not doing , as the case is) and (2) how can i detach myself so I can sleep at night over the ****ers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

First of all get the facts down on paper and present a list of his mistakes to your boss. It will be up to him to talk to the non-performers boss and let him know his concerns.
    Do your own job well so as to be beyond reproach, this is your best protection against possible retaliation. Do not rectify his mistakes so the negative impact of his mistakes will become noticed and start working against him.
    If this is not possible for some legal reason, notify his boss and your boss by email of the mistakes you have to rectify for him. Get proof, time dates etc on this. Get verifiable data to strengthen your case.
    Enlist the help of your other colleagues in this. Find out what they think of this worker so you know if your opinion is reasonable. Get them also to report on him if possible to their bosses so a strong case can be built up against him.
    When you have enough data built up call a meeting with your boss, his boss and him and confront him with the evidence. LEAVE EMOTION AT THE DOOR.
    I cannot emphasise this enough. Men will see emotion as weakening an accusers case.Stick to the facts. Write down all the possible excuses they may throw at you and come up with possible solutions or replies.
    Do this several times if necessary until a solution is reached.
    If he is a genuine slacker chances are other workers will have noticed this and feel as resentful as you about it. They will back you up. The bosses might be afraid to move until prompted by general shopfloor disatisfaction.
    You might just be the spur they are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

doolox wrote: »
    First of all get the facts down on paper and present a list of his mistakes to your boss. It will be up to him to talk to the non-performers boss and let him know his concerns.
    Do your own job well so as to be beyond reproach, this is your best protection against possible retaliation. Do not rectify his mistakes so the negative impact of his mistakes will become noticed and start working against him.
    If this is not possible for some legal reason, notify his boss and your boss by email of the mistakes you have to rectify for him. Get proof, time dates etc on this. Get verifiable data to strengthen your case.
    Enlist the help of your other colleagues in this. Find out what they think of this worker so you know if your opinion is reasonable. Get them also to report on him if possible to their bosses so a strong case can be built up against him.
    When you have enough data built up call a meeting with your boss, his boss and him and confront him with the evidence. LEAVE EMOTION AT THE DOOR.
    I cannot emphasise this enough. Men will see emotion as weakening an accusers case.Stick to the facts. Write down all the possible excuses they may throw at you and come up with possible solutions or replies.
    Do this several times if necessary until a solution is reached.
    If he is a genuine slacker chances are other workers will have noticed this and feel as resentful as you about it. They will back you up. The bosses might be afraid to move until prompted by general shopfloor disatisfaction.
    You might just be the spur they are looking for.

I'd leave well alone on the other colleagues backing you up front. Its a very foolish thing to do to speak on behalf of other people unless you have been nominated as a spokesperson for them

That aside, I would agree with all of the above, and present the facts to your boss in this way. Make an official complaint about this member of staff and that way they cannot ignore it. Should your boss then ignore the complaint, they are being negligent towards their duties. If you think this is the case, make sure to follow up with your boss, as it could be likely that something was done behind closed doors that you are not aware of.
    If your boss actually does ignore this, I would take it to their boss (your bosses boss) to discuss it with them, citing that you have already raised this matter with your own manager and they have failed to act upon it within a given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'd try not fixing his mistakes first and see what happens then.
    I wouldn't go down the road of complaining about him etc - let the mistakes speak for themselves.

as for point 2) your only responsible for your own work would be my attitude. Its your collegues boss and the "work organisation" in general who should be sorting slackers out.

Advertisement