Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumped from job, what to put on CV ?

Options
  • 28-01-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. Going to go anon for this one. I was wondering if anyone on here can give me some advice on what to do about my current situation.

Up until over a year ago, I was a software contractor, working as a developer for a well known company in Dublin. For personal reasons, I moved to a different, permanent job elsewhere in the city. It started out very well and I was given very good performance reviews in regular feedback sessions. However, as I approached the end of the probation period, I was abruptly told that I was not performing as well as they would like and I was given more time to "come up to scratch".

To cut a long story short, I spent the rest of that time busting my a*s to prove myself and
    was told in informal feedback that I was going to be ok. When the final day arrived, I was
    confident that all would be well but was told that I was being let go. I was gobsmacked to
    say the least. I believed that I had done well (I fixed some problems that no one else
    there had been able to fix at all, among other things) and was told earlier that I had hit the standards that were expected. I personally believe that I was let go as they needed to cut costs on the quiet (they are in an industry that is being wrecked right now).

However, no use dwelling on it. What I would really like is advice on what to put on my CV.

Looking at the situation coldly, I was not kept on after probation and this looks bad. The way I see it, I have these options ...

Lie and say I was travelling for the time I was working with this company. The problem with that is a future employer may think I may have become quite rusty after taking a long time off.

Lie and say I was contracting with my original company for that time. Problem is there is a
    good chance an agency may know people in that company and give someone a call to check it out.

I don't like the idea of lying. The other option is to tell the whole truth but I think this may have cost me one interview already. What I would really like to know is what a potential employer would make of the whole story.

Apologies for the bareness of the details for this post. Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Say it was a fixed term contract for a specific project.
    And obviously don't use them as a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

eth0_ wrote: »
    Say it was a fixed term contract for a specific project.
    And obviously don't use them as a reference.
    Agreed. In this day and age a lot of companies take on short term fixed contract staff to cut costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The suggestion that eth0_ gave is probably the best way to approach it. Your biggest problem with this (as you mention above) is the likelihood that someone will have a contact in the company. Not just the agencies but also the actual interviewers. The software in industry in Ireland becomes quite a small place when you've worked for a number of companies with a lot of different people. It's probably still your best bet. Another important point to bear in mind if you chose this option is to make sure what ever you claim fits in with the companies hiring policy. There's no point in claiming that you were on a contract with an employer who only hires full time employees on indefinite contracts.

You need to bend the truth just enough to have a convincing story. Generally that results in the most believable result. As pointed out above, a lot of people won't bat an eyelid at someone being unexpectedly out of work right now. Avoid criticising the company as other employers rarely want to hear criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

It sounds like they just wanted to cut costs or avoid making you permanent.
    They could have told you this when they were leting you go , it wouldn't really have had any repercussions for them, as you have no comeback until your out of probabation anyhow.
    On the CV I'd just say I was working there.
    In the interview maybe mention the cost cutting somehow ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

anonygirl wrote: »
    I personally believe that I was let go as they needed to cut costs on the quiet (they are in an industry that is being wrecked right now).

Be sure that's the case, so no issues repeat themselves. No harm in a bit of introspection!

The problem with putting them on your CV is you might be asked to use them as a reference - they may specifically want to speak to your previous employer.

So perhaps you could say you are still working there, but will be finishing up in two weeks? This could go against you if they want to hire someone immediately. (Note you can give your P45 direct to the payroll people - they won't care that the P45 says you finished up last year, or whenever.)

Or you could risk saying you finished your contract, but you would prefer to use a different reference, as your manager has since left. But they may want to speak with their HR anyway...

Personally I would say I travelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Were you given any particular reason for being let go? Was it explicitly said that it was due to being not up to scratch? Would they give you positive reference at all? If you were let go because there was no work they might be happy enough to admit that and give you good reference - or is it not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here. Thanks for all the feedback.

Saying it was a fixed term contract is not an option, I'm afraid, as this company takes on permanent only and is known for it.

As for the reason I was let go, I was told by the boss that they needed a more experienced type of person in the role at that moment and, at this time, I was not it. She did say, however, that they thought I would be that type of person in the future but they needed that person now. I did let her know that I was willing to move to a lower position for a while to work myself into that role but that was rejected. I have been given a good reference, in writing, from my immediate supervisor that doesn't give any reason I was let go but I'm not sure I can trust the reference after all this.

A handful of non essential people were made redundant a couple of months before I left and a big project I was due to work on was abruptly cancelled a few weeks later so I am still leaning towards the cost-cutting explanation. I know that no one else has been taken on to fill my position since I went.

As for the P45, if I say my last job was contracting then no P45 comes into it as I can just phone the revenue with my new employers tax number and they will send HR the details. This is what I did at this job.

Thanks for all the feedback. More opinions welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Your only fault ( if it can be remotely considered as one ) is a mismatch in experience which only time and application to the job in hand will resolve.
    Most bosses will understand this.
    You have got a good reference.
    If your previous boss tries to "diss" you by using negative verbal comment to your new prospective boss he will be asked why this wasn't mentioned on the letter.
    You say you got good verbal reports right up to the time of the end of the probation period. How convenient for your former boss that there is no written proof of your good work.
    There is also no proof of any wrongdoing either.
    You say the industry of your former boss is being "wrecked" at the moment.
    This probably will be known by your future boss and taken into account.
    Being let go at the end of probation in this recession from an industry that is "wrecked" should not be a source of furtiveness and shame.

Advertisement