Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

humming noise from voltage mains?

Options
  • 27-01-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

A humming noise has recently started from the voltage mains. its consistent and i haven't noticed it before but only in apartment about 3 months. Is this normal??

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

No it's not, sometime a bell traffo or an RCD can be the cause, but it's not normal and I'd have it investigated IMO. Hopefully the company that wired the place have their details on your fusebaord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

is it the fusebox.if its at nite could be the heating or else a circuit breaker or a connection which you'd need to get checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭lisa_eire

its coming from the voltage mains box which is beside the fusebox. not having any electrical problems. everything is working fine. If there is a problem surely i would be haveing electrical problems?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

no, something could be loose or faulty and still "appear" to work, but might not work under fault conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Is this only happening at night time by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

it's not normal and I'd have it investigated IMO
    + 1

This could be a contactor humming (not a problem) or it could be a bad connection arching (potential fire hazzard).

Advertisement