Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hip-Hop samples

Options
  • 27-01-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

Right, so we all know that aswell as great rhymes, it's great soul/disco/jazz/funk samples that make a great Hip-Hop track. Sometimes the less known and obscure the sample is, the more effective it is. I personally love going through the liner notes on a new album checking out which beats the producer has sampled. Here's a few to get us started;

'Ooh Child' by The Five Stairsteps-- Used in Keep ya Head up by Tupac Shakur
    'Footsteps in the dark' by the Isley Brothers-- Used by Ice Cube for It was a good day
    'Hard Knock Life' Broadway Musical song-- Used by Jay-Z for Hard Knock Life
    'It's time to break down' by The Supremes used by Gangstarr for JFK to LAX
    'As Long as I've got you'-- The Charmels used by Wu-Tang Clan for C.R.E.A.M.
    'The 900 Number' by the 45 King used by DJ Kool for Let me Clear my Throat
    'More Bounce to The Ounce' Used by EPMD for 'You gots to Chill'
    'Juicy Fruit' by Mfume used by Biggie in Juicy
    'All Night Long' by the Mary Jane Girls used by Redman for Tonight's the night, and LL Cool J's Around the way girl
    Don't know what the sample is, but used in Come Clean by Jeru The Damaja

ALL of Redman's Whut thee Album and Dare Iz A ADarkside (Mostly Zapp, Parliamant, James Brown)

And one of the two most samples tracks in Hip-Hop: Atomic Dog by George Clinton and Computer Love by Zapp.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

The best samples are the ones that nobody noticed in my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Fairly obvious one here but this beardy fecker pretty much laid down g-funk classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

This is one thread i wont be contributing too as i don't want to give away the gems,as premo said stop snitching :D

Can you tell me what song mark the 45 king got the saxophone loop from for the 900 number.....

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    This is one thread i wont be contributing too as i don't want to give away the gems,as premo said stop snitching :D

Can you tell me what song mark the 45 king got the saxophone loop from for the 900 number.....
    Marva Whitney's "Unwind Yourself

Top marks,did you use google? ill set a another one tomorrow maybe :D

I went looking for the original yesterday so it was still in my head when you asked. Found it in wiki but you can almost find everything in google aswell.

Not everything,a few years ago i went on a proper hunt and found some gems,but i found them by digging asking and annoying.google could not help me,alot of hip hop original samples are crap to be honest like the originals for tracks like come clean,ny state of mind,shook ones pt 2 etc you could not listen to from start to finish,i prefer orginals that are proper bangers in there in own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The Mastercuts series of compilations did a nice one a couple of years ago - Mastercuts: Breaks, which has 10-12 of the most sampled songs ever on it. Its decent enough, and you'll hear just the smallest parts of a track which will stick a track into your head

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Listen to David Axelrod, nearly all of his songs have been sampled by Hip Hop producers, minor snippets to full loops.

Here is the most obvious one:

But you shouldn't be listening to Axelrod to pick up samples, he should be listened to because is music is unbelievably great and he is a genius.

+1 for axelrod,useless trivia but barack obamas campaign manager was david axelrod (not the same guy though)

Another one for me would be bob james everyone from run dmc to the Beatles has lifted from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

If you are a hip-hop fan you are a fan of this guy Wu Tang, Kanye, Eric Sermon and many more took his blueprint to create some classic ****

free download

http://djstevieg.podomatic.com/entry...11_00_38-08_00

The legend that is Willie Mitchell passed away last Tuesday. He was an amazing musician and producer for over 50 years and even recently he was making great records. Al Green, Ann Peebles, O.V. Wright, Syl Johnson and many more benefited from his unique southern soul sound, and I love his music so much that I've gathered some of my favourites together in a mix that I broadcast on my Black on Red show last Saturday, paying homage to a musical legend. If you like this please go and investigate further his amazing catalogue and delve deeper into the work of these great singers. Some of this music is well known, while much of it is under-rated and under-recognised, despite heavy sampling from the like sof the RZA. It deserves a wider audience. Willie Mitchell R.I.P.

Love And Happiness Al Green
    Call me Al Green
    Tired Of Being Alone Al Green
    i'm still in love with you Al Green
    Let's Stay Together Al Green
    I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down Ann Peebles
    Anyone But You Syl Johnson
    All Because Al Green
    Come To Mama Ann Peebles
    Get Back Baby Al Green
    Trying to Live My Life Without You O.V. Wright
    You Say It Al Green
    you ought to be with me Al Green
    I Want to Hold Your Hand Al Green
    Let It Shine Al Green
    L.o.v.e. Al Green
    If I Could Reach Out Otis Clay
    I Only Have Love Syl Johnson
    Sha-La-La (Make Me Happy) Al Green
    Gotta Find a New World Al Green
    lets get married Al Green
    full of fire Al Green
    Take Me to the River Syl Johnson
    take me to the river Al Green
    Back For A Taste Of Your Love Syl Johnson
    Keep Me Cryin' Al Green
    Young People Willie Mitchell
    Slipped, Tripped And Fell In Love Ann Peebles
    That Ain't Right Woman Don Bryant
    The Champion Willie Mitchell
    That Driving Beat Willie Mitchell/Various
    My Babe Willie Mitchell
    Groovin' Willie Mitchell
    Soul Serenade Willie Mitchell
    True Love Al Green
    Star Bright Star Lite Syl Johnson
    Here I Am (Come And Take Me) Al Green
    I've Never Found A Girl Al Green
    look what you done for me Al Green
    Don't Do It Syl Johnson
    Keepin' Down Confusion Syl Johnson
    livin for you Al Green
    So Good to Be Here Al Green
    Nickle And A Nail O.V. Wright
    A Long Road O.V. Wright
    For The Good Times Al Green
    Let's Straighten It Out O.V. Wright
    Trouble, Heartaches & Sadness Ann Peebles
    I Can't Stand The Rain Ann Peebles
    I'm Glad You're Mine Al Green
    Strong As Death (Sweet As Love) Al Green
    Could I Be Fallin' In Love Syl Johnson
    I Can't Get Next to You Al Green
    A Little More Time O.V. Wright
    How can you mend a broken heart? Al Green

also free download of my Stevie Wonder documentary too

http://djstevieg.podomatic.com/entry/eg/2010-01-05T11_27_29-08_00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

In The Air Tonight by 2Pac and DMX sampled (along with others). Great track

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Here's some of my favourite samples:

Redman looping the start of "Flash Light" by Parliament on "So Ruff".
    Ice Cube using "Cosmic Slop" by Funkadelic and "Funkentelechy" by Parliament on "Doing Dumb ****".
    Busta Rhymes using Rick James' vocals from "Ghetto Life" on "In The Ghetto". Also, his use of the Knighrider theme in "Turn It Up/Fire It Up".
    Lil' Jon using "Mandatory Suicide" and "Raining Blood" by Slayer on "Stop ****in' With Me".
    Snoop Dogg using "She's Strange" by Cameo for "Crazy".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

colin29 wrote: »
    [YOUTUBE.]FCxc0Laqyqo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE.]FiOcVWQY2bc[/YOUTUBE]

Pete Rock is a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭blackalicious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

colin29 wrote: »
    [YOUTUBE.]FCxc0Laqyqo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE.]FiOcVWQY2bc[/YOUTUBE]

I have to mention the song from the intro seeing as I have it in my bookmarks:

The greatest sample is 'The Funky Drummer' break. It happened by chance that everything just worked during a jam session in terms of the musicians and production when JB told him to let loose with a solo. The youtube videos don't really do it justice but if you have it on vinyl you'll know what I'm talking about-it sounds so crisp and fresh even today.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Saw this one on a XXL blog the other day.

Advertisement