Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada under 35 programme

Options
  • 27-01-2009 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in going to Canada on this scheme but won't know until end of May whether I'll be in a position to do so. I checked the USIT website and there isn't a deadline for applications but they will close the programme once all places have been allocated. Am I leaving it too late if I only start applying at the end of May? Has anybody had any luck getting a place later than that? I'm sure with the recession and all that craic that this year might be busier so I know I might have to pull the finger out a bit sooner. Also, does anybody know how much USIT charge on average for the flights booked through them? I'd probably be going to Toronto and would be looking to head off in early September.

Thanks for any help with this.

Regards

Sainthubbins (the patron saint of quality footwear)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

Hi,

I'm trying to persuade my fiance to apply under the same programme. I'm Canadian and recently lost my job here so thinking I may have to head back. I could sponsor him for residency as my partner, but this way would probably be faster (and cheaper). I just read about the programme today and we're going to discuss it further later on. I really hope he's up for it!

From what I gather, once the visa is approved, you have to travel between March and December, so you don't really have a lot to lose by applying for it asap. If you leave it too late, you might not make it this year. My fiance is 34 so if we're going to do it, it has to be this year or else wait for the residency to be processed, which might take a year or so.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide. Canada a great place. I've been in Ireland for twenty years, I came here with my family who have since gone back to Toronto. My younger brother and sister just love it there, and my Dad who's nearly 60 got a good job no problem. I visit regularly but have to admit, I'd still be a bit nervous leaving here and trying it out over there!

T.

Advertisement