Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Octuplets

Options
  • 27-01-2009 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭

A woman in California has given birth to 8 live babies. 46 doctors were on standby and were prepared for 7 babies. 8th one was a surprise. She plans on breastfeeding them.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0127/octuplets.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

I heard it on the radio this morning and nearly crashed. Imagine 8 babies, ohhh myyy gawddddd. One is enough for me... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

she plans to breastfeed 8 babies???? she should be given the freedom of the city or something :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Plans are one thing, realistically, I doubt she could produce enough milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

:eek:

The mind boggles. What makes me laugh is that they were only expecting 7, at that number sure whats one more :pac:

If she BF's she will so nothing else only feed, and I suspect that it will just turn into a time issue.

Eek, you would need a team of helpers at home for that number of babies, regardless of BF'ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Good on her for choosing to breastfeed.... It'll be hard but I'd imagine it no harder than preparing 48 bottles a day!

The mind boggles at the amount of nappies and laundry she will have to do in one day alone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Regardless of how you fed them, think of how much time ONE newborn takes up with nappy changes and feeds alone.. I don't know how there would be enough hours in the day to look after them all. I had warned my mother at the beginning of my pregnancy that if we saw two at the ultrasound, she'd be rearing one of them :) The ultimate in social experimentation, see which twin turns out for the better! (Her's would have won, by the way).

I had to laugh at the "what's one extra?" too, 7 would be bad enough. Still, you'd have names picked, nurseries prepared etc for 7, and along comes a little someone else :)

Anyone ever watch "Jon and Kate plus eight"? I've been watching it at around the half three mark in the middle of the night for the last few days, they have (at the time of filming) 2 6 year olds and 6 2 year olds. What strikes me is that you have to be so organised, I'd be shafted. Also, they seem to do nothing but bicker with each other, it'd be a huge strain on a relationship to deal with that stress. Good luck to that poor woman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

:eek: **shudders**
    At 31 weeks and being soooo small these babies will probably be tube fed for quite a few weeks so I reckon if the mother can manage to express milk the babies should be able to get some breastmilk for a few weeks. Actually physically feeding all of them though .....eek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

embee wrote: »
    Good on her for choosing to breastfeed.

indeed, she'll be like a sow with a load of piglets after her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

embee wrote: »
    Good on her for choosing to breastfeed.... It'll be hard but I'd imagine it no harder than preparing 48 bottles a day!

The mind boggles at the amount of nappies and laundry she will have to do in one day alone...

Other people can help prepare bottles though! I heard on the radio this morning that she has 6 other children too. 14 kids! How on earth will they get enough time and attention from their parents?
    The other woman who had octuplets in the US said that she had to change up to 70 nappies per day with hers and needed an army of volunteers to help her.

Advertisement