Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU citizen can be deported out of Ireland

Options
  • 26-01-2009 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Since 2007 Ireland passed a new law (Like a few other EU countries I believe) allowing the state to deport EU citizen who have no longer a professional activity in the state.

Example: A EU citizen (Other than Irish obviously) residing in Ireland, even for years, can be deported if he/she becomes unemployed for over 3 months. The law is pretty clear, he cannot stay in the state.

Is this actually going to happend do you think guys, if not already done in a recent past?

Not my case, just wondering.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

does that apply to British citizens? or is it aimed at those greedy polish and latvians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

CamperMan wrote: »
    does that apply to British citizens? or is it aimed at those greedy polish and latvians?

Any EU citizen yep

This text is a nice version of the full law actually
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/rights-of-residence-in-ireland/residence_rights_EU_national

The full law text is a bit more aggressive than that, speak about deportation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Moved from Economics.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There's also provision for turfing out criminals and the like, so I wouldn't read too much into it. I think they are just there to give them an excuse if they ever need to turf out an individual who they do not like.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

a-ha! - I was wondering!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

This is not an Irish Law, rather it is just the transposition into Irish law of the European Citizenship Directive:
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2004/l_158/l_15820040430en00770123.pdf

Every country in Europe can deport a European citizen if they do not qualify for a right of residence under the Directive.

You obtain a right of residence in Ireland if you are a European citizen who is working here, if you are studying here, or if you have sufficient resources and health insurance not to burden the Irish State.

You can only be deported on grounds of public policy, public security and public health (Art 27 - 29 of the Citizneship Directive), and any decision must be based on your personal circumstances.

There is nothing particularly sinister about this system. It is worded much like any other restrictions on the free movement provisions in EC law and so it is interpreted strictly. After 5 years you get a permanent right of residence and you cannot be deported even if you become unemployed. That said they can still deport you under the public security (you are convicted of a crime) or public health (you have the plague) provisions.

The Government won't get away with any mass deportation schemes using this one anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The state was always entitled to deport people.

Advertisement