Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mini combo with tv norrmende nm8501

Options
  • 26-01-2009 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

i was in dunnes tipp town branch today, they had this on offer,
    reduced from 189 euro to 75 euro
    specs
    7in lcd tft display
    inbuilt sd and analouge tuner
    fully compatable with
    dvd+rw, cd-r, cd-rw, dvd+r dvd+rw, dvd-r, picture cd / jepg
    usb interface,
    auto programing, auto memory,
    epg teletex supported,
    240 sd dvb-t channels memory,
    100 analouge channells memory,
    multi audio and subtitles language supported,
    2 X 30 watt output speakers,
    coaxil digital audio out,
    av, s-video and component video (YPbPr) output,
    scart socket,
    full function remote control,
    seven days epg,
    dolby digital, kodac picture cd, mp3, mpeg4, dvbt (terrestrial),
    seems like a lot of kit for a little money, it could be that i am wrong,
    your thoughts please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

got one in my local dunnes last week, great value.

Can connect analogue chorus tv to it and probably sky with rf out. Would be even better up north or in uk as it has a dvb-t tuner. Played the xvids i tried on it no problem. Has scart out if you want to connect it to a big tv. Havent tried that yet though. Hooked up a modded xbox with xbmc to it (bought an rf cable off ebay as it only has rf in, no scart in), and it looks great even though screen is only 7". I'd definitely recommend getting one before there gone. Perfect for a bedside tv or for kids.

Its a rebranded elonex cube (google that and you'll see more info).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i connected it to the lcd with a cheap scart, brill pic, better than sky, john fogarty is sounding pretty good at the moment, i am impressed with myself, one of my best buys for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Got one of these from my hubby as a Birthday & Late main Christmas present. Great need little unit but having technical issues with it already. No support helpline numbers showing in the Instruction Manual and this particular model doesn't show up on the Nordmende Ireland website so I don't know whats going on there.

Good sound, good clear picture on the LCD TFT display screen really sharp. A couple of odd operation quirks with the unit. No dedicated buttons on the remote control or the unit to go straight to DVD player say, you have to press this one 'source' button until you get to the part you want and it wants to search for digital terrestrial channels every time even though we cannot get DVB-T where we are. One particular problem we are having is that you can use a Graphic Equalizer like 'rock' when playing back a DVD but then the graphic equalizer screen covers the DVD picture you are watching so to get rid of it you have to cancel the graphic equalizer setting and then it goes back to 'Normal' - you cannot set your own levels on the equalizer or BASS & Treble separately you have to use the pre-defined settings of 'Rock /Jazz / Classical ' whatever and you cannot adjust the equalizer when watching a TV programme.

The DVD is Region 2 only so it wont play some of my DVD's :( and I cannot seem to find a multi region code on the Internet that will make it region free, i am pretty sure that one exists out there but its just the matter of finding it.

The Radio hasn't got RDS on it so I was surprised seeing all the other features the unit has on it. The SCART socket on the back of the Unit seems to be 'OUTPUT' only so you cant (as I see it) plug in any composite device with video out like a camcorder and watch it on the screen.

As far as I can tell the USB only works with Photos and Music and you cant put a mpeg 4 movie on a memory stick and play it back but I will investigate further. The blue light around the volume knob is nice! :)

I am still having a play with it so if there is anything else I come across that might be useful to know then I will post it in this thread. If anyone has any questions before they buy one and want me to try out something just give me a shout. Hubby got mine from Dunnes for 75.00 Euro in February there was loads there on the shelf.

Val.

me thinks maplin have something similar for 200 lids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Can anyone confirm if there's any stock in any dublin stores? I reckon it'd be a handy replacement to the broken cd unit currently sitting in my kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

magnumlady wrote: »
    Got one of these from my hubby as a Birthday & Late main Christmas present. Great need little unit but having technical issues with it already. No support helpline numbers showing in the Instruction Manual and this particular model doesn't show up on the Nordmende Ireland website so I don't know whats going on there.

Good sound, good clear picture on the LCD TFT display screen really sharp. A couple of odd operation quirks with the unit. No dedicated buttons on the remote control or the unit to go straight to DVD player say, you have to press this one 'source' button until you get to the part you want and it wants to search for digital terrestrial channels every time even though we cannot get DVB-T where we are. One particular problem we are having is that you can use a Graphic Equalizer like 'rock' when playing back a DVD but then the graphic equalizer screen covers the DVD picture you are watching so to get rid of it you have to cancel the graphic equalizer setting and then it goes back to 'Normal' - you cannot set your own levels on the equalizer or BASS & Treble separately you have to use the pre-defined settings of 'Rock /Jazz / Classical ' whatever and you cannot adjust the equalizer when watching a TV programme.

The DVD is Region 2 only so it wont play some of my DVD's :( and I cannot seem to find a multi region code on the Internet that will make it region free, i am pretty sure that one exists out there but its just the matter of finding it.

The Radio hasn't got RDS on it so I was surprised seeing all the other features the unit has on it. The SCART socket on the back of the Unit seems to be 'OUTPUT' only so you cant (as I see it) plug in any composite device with video out like a camcorder and watch it on the screen.

As far as I can tell the USB only works with Photos and Music and you cant put a mpeg 4 movie on a memory stick and play it back but I will investigate further. The blue light around the volume knob is nice! :)

I am still having a play with it so if there is anything else I come across that might be useful to know then I will post it in this thread. If anyone has any questions before they buy one and want me to try out something just give me a shout. Hubby got mine from Dunnes for 75.00 Euro in February there was loads there on the shelf.

Val.

by mpeg4 they mean xvid/divx .avi files, and these play fine from usb :)

for connecting devices to it look for scart to rf etc

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

Got one of these myself. Good value I thought. Very handy for playing movie files from a memory stick onto the tv.

DSC00019-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Has anyone seen these lately in any of the Cork stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

filo87 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen these lately in any of the Cork stores?

Anyone?
    Or does anyone know where I can getm one similar?

dunnes in tipp had some during the week

• Advertisement
Advertisement