Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking permit for disabled son

Options
  • 26-01-2009 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Just wondering if anyone knows if i am entittled to a parking permit. my son has cerebral palsy but can walk unaided but with a limp. he also has non physical problems so attends the hospital a lot. i have been told that because he can walk we are not entittles to a permit even though we recieve domicilary allowance. thanks
    Lily

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭goulders

i dont think u wud qualify for permit, they are ment for persons with walking difficulties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

While its commonly refered to as a wheelchair sticker it is infact a disabled parking permit and as such you may qualify for it.

They're issued by a few agencies but the only one I've dealt with is the IWA, who's details I've included below. Give them a ring.

IWA National Mobility Centre
    Ballinagappa Road
    Clane
    Irish Wheelchair Association
    Tel: 045 893 094/5
    Fax: 045 861144
    Email: maats@iwa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭goulders

Dont want to add to your problems but they are wheelchair spaces, I can't walk ten feet so its annoying to find persons parking and skipping off to shops, , when challanged they say they have some health problems, I have heard it all from , bad back to just out of hospital, as i said at the begining i dont want to add to your problems so please dont add to mine.
    regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LilyC

We are lucky that he can walk and only needs a chair about 4 times a yr. This is only when he hurts his ankle badly and cannot manage crutches as his arm is to weak to hold him up. Even when in the chair we cannot use spaces. I know people do abuse the system i have seen it for myself Just if we are out and he falls (which could happen up to 10 times a day...) I physically cannot carry him. I was just wondering if i was entittled to a permit as as you have said yourself people seem to get them when they have nothing wrong where my son is genuinely disabled and unlike some conditions his cannot be cured and is becoming more noticable the older he is getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

With great respect and sympathy, but disabilities vary widely and are not always visible. And the system of granting the badges does know and caters for that.

If they have a badge, then they can park there, whether in a wheelchair or not.

goulders wrote: »
    Dont want to add to your problems but they are wheelchair spaces, I can't walk ten feet so its annoying to find persons parking and skipping off to shops, , when challanged they say they have some health problems, I have heard it all from , bad back to just out of hospital, as i said at the begining i dont want to add to your problems so please dont add to mine.
    regards

• Advertisement

As sorella said once you hold a valid parking permit you are permitted to park in disabled parking slots. I've included some additional details on where you can obtain the permit.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Pages/DisabledParkingPermit.aspx

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/traffic-and-parking/parking_facilities_for_people_with_disabilities

Thanks for the help the sites and the address are very helpful.
    Lil

• Registered Users Posts: 36 betty_swollox

LilyC wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows if i am entittled to a parking permit. my son has cerebral palsy but can walk unaided but with a limp. he also has non physical problems so attends the hospital a lot. i have been told that because he can walk we are not entittles to a permit even though we recieve domicilary allowance. thanks
    Lily

It's a disability, any medical referee or GP should give your lad the green light for a parking permit.
    Don't forget you could qualify for the usual VRT, road tax and fuel allowance rebates too as a vehicle carrying a passenger with a disability.

On the point of people parking where they shouldn't, I was after getting into my car around xmas when an old geezer (70ish) with a walking stick came over to me and started walloping my car with his stick shouting you shouldn't be parked here!
    Aside from me pointing at the BIG BLUE BADGE on my windscreen I took off my leg waved it in the air and said well sir if Having one leg and being paralysed from my chest down doesn't qualify me as disabiled I really don't know what does.

I can just see the headlines
    "OAP rushed to A&E with a big blue badge attached to his forehead and a prosthetic limb placed in an unmentionable part of his body"
    Gardai are looking for a one legged male in a wheelchair.

Would I be done for partial bodily harm or artificial bodily harm....

Don't forget you could qualify for the usual VRT, road tax and fuel allowance rebates too as a vehicle carrying a passenger with a disability.
    I may be wrong here, but I believe that applies to adapted vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Yes it does and not otherwise. ie you are right :)
    I may be wrong here, but I believe that applies to adapted vehicles.

• Advertisement

sorella wrote: »
    Yes it does and not otherwise. ie you are right :)

I knew I was wrong in thinking I was not right :p

Ha Ha Betty, i can imagine the face on the oul fella when you pulled ur leg off.... I have contacted the Wheelchair Assoc so forms are on the way. I will ask my GP to fill out forms and c what he says. It is not as if we will need to use the permit all the time but would be great to have in emergencys. And ill make sure i watch out for old men when i park in a disabled spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I believe that the current term for parking spaces for people with disabilities is "accessible parking spaces". This may helps those who's disability is not as visual as others. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rumy

I appears by the letter of the law he would not unfortunately, personally I think this whole issue should be revisited and be supervised properly by the DDAI as I can tell you for sure that many people have these permits with nothing mobility visible wrong with them and are getting through the net for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

This is a fourteen year old thread?!? Didn't you start a new thread on this topic already?

As has been pointed out on this thread, and to you on the other, but it bears repeating...

Not all disabilities are visible.

Advertisement