Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuelling?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I'm sick of forking out almost €2 a pop on a bottle of Lucozade Sport so I've decided to buy in bulk? Any good recommendations on a fluid replacement/isotonic/recovery drink powder and where can I purchase it cheapest?
    It would be a bonus if it actually tasted good....
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Spins wrote: »
    I'm sick of forking out almost €2 a pop on a bottle of Lucozade Sport so I've decided to buy in bulk? Any good recommendations on a fluid replacement/isotonic/recovery drink powder and where can I purchase it cheapest?
    Thanks

Lucozade is basically robinsons fruit squash with a bit of salt in it.

Its easy to make it at home and you'll find tons of recipes on the net

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lucozade sport in powder form is 7 something for 12 500ml servings in Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Any good recommendations on a fluid replacement/isotonic/recovery drink powder and where can I purchase it cheapest?
    Thanks

Milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

1. 1 litre tap water +
    2. 1 pinch of salt +
    3. either
    • 60g of glucose powder or
    • 200ml fruit squash (NOT no added sugar) or
    • 100ml Ribena

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

I get the stuff in Aldi. Tastes and acts like Lucozade or Club.

Good value at 2.99 for 6 500ml bottles. Which is actually enough over 500ml is too much I think. Especially after a race. Water and a little Isotonic is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Spins, can you just clarify what you're using the drink for? Energy during a run, refueling afterwards etc? Also the kind of mileage you're doing would be useful. The reason I'm asking is that, after a certain amount of time on your feet (and small time between training sessions) I think it is a good idea to include some protein in your drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

I'm pre triathlon season training so I'm currently doing a long run of about 10-12 miles at the weekend. Speed session on a Tuesday. Cycling about 70k on a sunday. Swim session Monday nights.

Are any of those big tubs that you see in various magazines worth investing in?

I'm pre triathlon season training so I'm currently doing a long run of about 10-12 miles at the weekend. Speed session on a Tuesday. Cycling about 70k on a sunday. Swim session Monday nights.

Are any of those big tubs that you see in various magazines worth investing in?

Genuinely, if it is a recovery drink you want, the recent studies show that milk is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Genuinely, if it is a recovery drink you want, the recent studies show that milk is the best.
    Do you have a like for that?
    Sounds good to me .

shels4ever wrote: »
    Do you have a like for that?
    Sounds good to me .

My strength and fitness coach from DCU gave me details last year. I'll try to find the link for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

At the chi running course ,catriona mcks coach/nuitritionist who she went to see at trinity college reckoned that a pint of super milk is yir only man after a run for recovery purposes......

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

While watching live streaming of various American marathons I've heard the commentators say a hot chocolate made with milk (not water) is a great recovery drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

What's about a pint of Guinness?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

911sc wrote: »
    What's about a pint of Guinness?:)
    When i finished Chicago I was handed a pint of Beer.. it was the last thign that I wanted at the time.

semi-skimmed milk is not bad. It has the sugar and protein which is needed for recovery. However, a lot of people, can't tolerate it after exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,172 ✭✭✭plodder

shels4ever wrote: »
    When i finished Chicago I was handed a pint of Beer.. it was the last thign that I wanted at the time.
    Same in the Prague 1/2 marathon. They handed out small cups during the race (not very welcome), and then a few cans at the end (very nice, made the pain go away).

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Not a fan of milk before, during or after excercise, in fact not really a fan of milk at all. I note nobody has any recommendations on an actual specific commericl sports drink/supplement. Surely somebody must use one.....????

There are a lot of them and it often comes down to taste
    high5 - too bland for me
    sis/sis rego/ psp22 - I quite like this one. plain flavour has no artifical sweetners if they are something you try to avoid.
    high 5 "4:1" - good quality ingredients but doesn't stay well mixed on a long session.
    locozade sport powder - too expensive I've found
    torq - makes me gag but best quality/balance of ingredients I've found in a buy-off-the-shelf product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,172 ✭✭✭plodder

Not a fan of milk before, during or after excercise, in fact not really a fan of milk at all. I note nobody has any recommendations on an actual specific commericl sports drink/supplement. Surely somebody must use one.....????
    You could try Provon Revive either (from Glanbia). I got the free sample, and it was quite decent. I don't work at the intensity to need that kind of stuff anyway, and even if I did, I think I'd try out the "home made" alternatives first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

When I finished the Guinness Tri last september I got about 8 pints into me, before hitting The Palace :D Let's just say the following day was all about recovery!

Tesco sell that Club Energiser off cheap every now and again - 6x500ml for 1.99. I bout about 8 crates of it at that price about 4 months ago and 3 more a few weeks ago, I'm still well stocked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement