Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to expect? will i put on weight?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

hi im giving up on sunday 1st of feb at long last.tried last lent with my other half and lasted about 2 weeks but i wasnt as motivated but now i really really want to quit as im asmatic and i know it will kill me in the end so now's the time.

what i want to know is what to expect.cravings/pains etc.
    im goin to try cold turkey at first and see how that goes.

how do i prevent myself gaining weight as im overweight at the minute.

will i always crave "a fag" for years.

any tips or suggestion will help alot.

thanks in advance..........wish me luck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

As an asthmatic smoker myself, I wish you luck. From my own experiences of trying to give up, the first 2 weeks are the worst. Get through that and it gets easier.

Alot of people swear by Allen Carr's book - "Easy way to stop smoking"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Leah-G1

Hey!

Making that decision to give up is the most important part so well done!
    .I have been trying for the past 4 months with patches and inhalers but nothing has worked!I eventually got a chest infection so ripped up my cigarettes and quit.That was over a month ago now.
    I would recommend mentally preparing yourself before you give up.
    Aside from the physical withdrawls,the pyschological ones were mych harder for me to deal with.I actually felt like I was mourning someone,like a friend had died.Getting over that part was the hardest for me.
    Your first few days are tough,all you will think about is smoking.You will have moments where you forget you have given up and when you remember it's upsetting to say the least!!always have some water beside you and a plenty of gum.It really does work taking your mind of it.

Im trying to deal with the fact that I will never smoke again too..its tough but the results are so worth it!My breath/clothes/hair do not stink anymore,i have so much more energy,im not coughing all the time etc etc

Also another plus is that it makes your life so much less awkward,no stopping to buy fags all the time,no running outside for a sneaky ciggie while everyones inside....:)

Best of luck and hope this was some help!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Leah-G1

Oh yeah and about putting on weight,this is the best time to join a gym or start walking/jogging.Im training for a half marathon..something i could only dream about before.This helps your keep your mind off the cigs and kills the boredom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

I recently quit smoking (4 weeks tomorrow) I was a 20 a day smoker. I totally recommend Allen Carr's book - Easy way to stop smoking. I haven't been eating any extra I dont get cravings everyday and actually have much more energy to exercise in the evenings.

You can use www.stopsmoking.ie you can track how long your off them , the amount of money you have saved , how long you have added onto your life and how many how would have smoked since you gave up.

Not even 4 weeks later and I cant believe I ever smoked, I'm putting all the money towards a holiday for easter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 incis

As strange as it seems - I did not put on any weight since I quit 14 months ago! And I do find myself eating more at times. I do not exercise more since I quit. So - DO NOT assume you will put on weight! :) Do not let it scare you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dhorgan3

pingu_girl wrote: »
    I recently quit smoking (4 weeks tomorrow) I was a 20 a day smoker. I totally recommend Allen Carr's book - Easy way to stop smoking. I haven't been eating any extra I dont get cravings everyday and actually have much more energy to exercise in the evenings.

Ok...I tried allen carrs book a few years ago...when I was in my early 20's...managed to stay off the fags for only 3 weeks. So it doesn't work for everyone. Last October, I decided I was going to give up again, Cold turkey. My motivation was that I had decided to go back playing sport and I haven't looked back since. Have no cravings whatsoever and most of the time I forget I ever smoked. Best of luck to all who manage to beat this addiction...It is so true that u will have alot more energy and will obviously feel alot more energy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

pingu_girl wrote: »

You can use www.stopsmoking.ie you can track how long your off them , the amount of money you have saved , how long you have added onto your life and how many how would have smoked since you gave up.

Not even 4 weeks later and I cant believe I ever smoked, I'm putting all the money towards a holiday for easter :D

Congratulations from another Carr Convert.

Advertisement