Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job seekers allowance

Options
  • 26-01-2009 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi All,
    I recently applied for JSA, and just found out ill only be entitled to about €10 a week, no rent allowance or anything. Because I said i was co-habiting with my boyfriend he's expected to financially support me, even though I paid half of everything while i was working.

But I know of a friend that has been been living in their sisters house and paying rent, and is recieving the full €204 a week, and the sisters income doesnt even come into it nor is she expected to support them.

So in what living circumstances are you entitled to recieve the €200ish? surely if you say your living at home are your parents incomes not taken into account?

Or does the €204 apply to the prsi contributions, and have nothing to do with the JSA?

Thanks in advance, very confused at the moment!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Johnny909

katie86 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I recently applied for JSA, and just found out ill only be entitled to about €10 a week, no rent allowance or anything. Because I said i was co-habiting with my boyfriend he's expected to financially support me, even though I paid half of everything while i was working.

But I know of a friend that has been been living in their sisters house and paying rent, and is recieving the full €204 a week, and the sisters income doesnt even come into it nor is she expected to support them.

So in what living circumstances are you entitled to recieve the €200ish? surely if you say your living at home are your parents incomes not taken into account?

Or does the €204 apply to the prsi contributions, and have nothing to do with the JSA?

It's basically because you're considered a married couple if you're co-habiting. It only applies if you're living together as a couple. I'm not sure of the finer details of the definition of co-habitation but basically if they come out to you and see you have a 1 bed apartment with a double bed, you're considered co-habiting.

I'm in a similar situation to yourself - I've just applied for JSB but wasn't entitled as I was self employed so I'm waiting on a means test for JSA.

Do you mind me asking, how much does your boyfriend earn? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth my while even getting these people out to means test me as I live with my girlfriend.

As far as I can establish - 204e is jobseekers benefit (related to PRSI contribution) and jobseekers allowance is max. 134 euro... (correct me if i'm wrong, anyone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 katie86

My boyfriend is on about €600 net a week.

The welfare officer barely looked at anything else except his payslip and told me 'i was in trouble'. I questioned the fact that my oh was obliged to support me, even though in the 'means test' they dont take any of his outgoings into account, not even the fact that he has a child to whom he pays maintenance for. Means test my ass!:rolleyes:

Yea i didnt qualify for JSB either as I just finished college in May and didnt have enough contributions worked up.

Thanks for info Johnny

So Im now gathering from peers etc. thats its better to say ur living with a sibling, rather than co-habiting or living with parents... i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Johnny909

It would be better to be living with a sibling or friend (but not a partner).

It would be fine to live with your parents if you're 25 or over.

And thanks for the info - I doubt it will be worth it for me but I'll see what they say. I'll probably end up owing them money at this rate :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Johnny909 wrote: »
    It would be better to be living with a sibling or friend (but not a partner).

It would be fine to live with your parents if you're 25 or over.

And thanks for the info - I doubt it will be worth it for me but I'll see what they say. I'll probably end up owing them money at this rate :rolleyes:

Why do you think it would be fine to say you are living with your parents if you are 25 or over?? (I am in similair situation at the moment, and don't know what way to go about these things!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Confuseddotcom, if you are over the age of 25 and living at home your parents' income(s) will not be taken into account for your means test. If you are under 25 then their income(s) would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Anyone know what my entitlements would be? I'm 22 and living with my parents. I worked 15 hours per week for 22 months while in college, and then I worked 37.5 hours per week for six months after that. Then I had to leave my job for health reasons which have now been resolved.

I have been told by the social welfare office that I do qualify for Job Seekers either allowance or benefit, not sure which. Apparently there's a three month wait to receive it though.

My Dad works full time and my Mam works but on an irregular basis.

Anyone have any idea what I'd be entitled to weekly?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 arlone

Jobseekers benefit is not means-tested,it is based on your social insurance record.If you are unemployed and do not qualify for jobseekers benefit you may qualify for jobseeker's allowance .
    You may get jobseeker's allowance if you don't qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit or if you have used up your entitlement to jobseeker's benefit -- --- Spouse’s or partner’s income from employment is assessed for the means test for jobseeker’s allowance.---To find your spouse’s or partner’s means from work you must:deduct €20 per day from your spouse's or partner's assessable earnings for each day worked up to a maximum of €60 (including Sunday) Next get 60% of the balance. This is assessed as his or her weekly means from work.----Assessable weekly earnings - €20 per day (maximum 3 days) = total x 60% = weekly means from work. Jobseekers allowance for under 25s living with their parents
    Calculate the net income of the family (gross income less the various deductions, as appropriate). Apply a disregard of €600.00 for a two parent family and €470.00 for a one parent family. An additional disregard of €30.00 applies for all children up to 18 years of age
    (Got most of this from www.welfare.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

arlone wrote: »
    Calculate the net income of the family (gross income less the various deductions, as appropriate). Apply a disregard of €600.00 for a two parent family and €470.00 for a one parent family.

Ok, done that. Now what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 arlone

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shanetv175

Both 40 married, wife on illness benefit, 3 kids, will be going on jobseekers allowance. How much do i get ? Can I claim for anything else ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 polskafanka

katie86 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is there any current thread about the same issue?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Not that I can see.Feel free to start one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement