Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much damage was done?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭

Hey.

Dunno if this is the right forum, but if not, mods, move it :)

Never smoked myself, always HATED them. Going out with a girl now about 6 months. She's turning 18 in a few weeks. Between 13-17, she smoked maybe 2-3 cigarettes a day, but on and off. She says in the 4/5 years, it added up to about 8 months total.

My question is, how much damage could she have done? And how could it impact on her in the future? And will there ever be a point where her health gets back to a non-smokers level?

She gave them up when she met me, so it was never an issue (I'd never go out with a smoker), but I'm just curious.

Cheers,

JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Vagabondo

Hello JB!
    As a former heavy smoker I am very glad she gave up that cigarettes!
    The damage has obviously been done, but with them nico things you never know how much. It's the thing you can't measure at the moment until you have very serious problems.
    What I personaly did after giving them up, and will recommend to anyone doing this positive thing to their own health, is to do some cardio. Gently introduce her to jogging and/or cycling outdoors, swimming in the pool and brisk evening walk around the block. Lots of liquids (not alcohol !!!) and some yoga. That will be a good thing to do for anyone at all and for former smokers in particular! Encourage her by doing it with you as a good quality healthy time together. If you are planning for a baby - I'd give it at least one year of nicotine free life before.
    Don't worry too much! Both of you will be grand!
    Cheers,

Alexander

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

We can't give medical advice here.

If she's worried, then she should see a doctor about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement