Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute Work/ Exam Corrections

Options
  • 26-01-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I'm a college student, not doing any sort of teaching, but am interested in doing Subbing in Primary or Post-Primary Schools to help pay for college? Could anyone tell me what would be the best way to get a few hours here and there- especially during May/June??

Would also be interested in correcting Exam Papers, although it seems you have to be a qualified teacher, any info on this??

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Just out of curiosity what exam papers would you be interested in correcting?
    What subjects are you studying in college?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The applications for correcting for the SEC went in before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Bluebell55

I am studying anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, and others along those lines, so would be interested in correcting any of the science papers- biology, chemistry, physics, etc... But since applications apparently closed in December, its a no-go!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Subbing will probably be difficult to find too. With so little subbing available I'd hazard a guess that there is a lot of competition out there for whatever positions are available. May and June are usually very quiet times for subs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

'tis no harm to give the State Exams Commission a buzz, they sometimes are short of people for some subjects. You wouldn't get Leaving Cert subjects, but you might get Junior Cert Science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Bluebell55 wrote: »
    I am studying anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, and others along those lines, so would be interested in correcting any of the science papers- biology, chemistry, physics, etc... But since applications apparently closed in December, its a no-go!

The reason I asked was I am amazed that any student would have the confidence to consider looking to correct exam papers just a year or two after leaving school themselves and never having stood in a class-room in a teaching capacity, never mind being a qualified/experienced teacher.

I certainly wouldn't have had the confidence to do it, though the subjects you mention are probably more right/wrong than qualitative or analytical, which might make it easier to do so with much less experience.

Advertisement