Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher diploma query

Options
  • 26-01-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone might be able to help me.

I have a BA in English and History from UCD. Graduated in 1995. Thought about teaching but never pursued it.

Circumstances have changed and a redundancy package has come up at work. This could be the ideal opportunity to teach.

However it seems that I am too late to apply for the NUI Postgraduate Diploma in Education for 2009. I just learned that the closing date for late applications was January 9.
    I presume they make no exceptions?

Is there anywhere else that I could do the diploma commencing in September this year.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

The NUI colleges, Trinity and DCU all do courses but the application dates have passed. In fact the NUI one is the latest of them.

Maybe some college in the UK might be an option but I haven't a clue what their closing dates are, nor am I sure if you'd have some extra hurdles to jump to fulfil the criteria in Ireland afterwards. It would be like some genius in the teaching council to have come up with something.

The subjects you have wouldn't be the greatest for employability as it's perhaps the most common Arts combination. You will be told this by everyone so at least that gets it out of the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

Yep I second the above, all the Irish dates have passed, I know as I applied myself this year, being stuck like you last year by being too late to apply for a Sept 2008 start. Why not take the redundancy if it's a good package, travel or something meanwhile and apply in Sept for the Sept 2010 entry? (Sept is the earliest you can apply for entry the following year). Or you could try to get subbing or any kind of classroom experience although with the way the economy is probably not the best time for that...you could get a TEFL cert under your belt and get some teaching experience that way maybe...just a suggestion as you have English as a subject.

Advertisement