Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain killers?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all,
    I have very bad lower back pain today... pulled something a while back and I must have slept funny on it last night (not big so can't blame pregnancy yet for it:D) I'm in wk 9 and so far have managed not to take any pain killers of any kind, but I really am in pain here... have any of you taken anything? Paracetamol even? Just want peace of mind in case I have to later.... dying here!! Stooopid chair in work not helping matters!!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

You can take paracetomal safely but nothing else. I had lots of dental surgery and managed with paracetomol which is not like me at all. Listen to your body, you need to go home, lie down, feet up, rest and have a couple of paracetomol. The worst thing I suffered so far and I've 10 days to go is a bad cold. Man I would have killed for a cough bottle and decongestents. Be very careful around coughie sneezie people. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sixx

Thanks good to hear, a friend of mine just had her little un a while back and took NOTHING throughout the whole 9 months :eek: here I am in week 9 and already dying for a few pills :D Had that cold over the new year and managed alright but thankfully didn't last too long. Fingers crossed for rest of preg. i stay relatively well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I haven't had a drop of wine so feel positively saintlike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Paracetamol is fine but check with your GP coz there may be something else you could take which would have more effect - being in pain is no good for your babes or you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Later on in your pg you may be able to take something stronger but at this early stage paracetemol is it.

I have back problems and in my last few weeks was allowed take 2 ty*lex a day. Ok, it was like peeing against the wind, but I saved them for nighttime to try and get some sleep :)

Someone else I know was allowed to take two Sol*padiene (sp).

This would only be on the say so of GP or Consultant though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    Later on in your pg you may be able to take something stronger but at this early stage paracetemol is it.

I have back problems and in my last few weeks was allowed take 2 ty*lex a day. Ok, it was like peeing against the wind, but I saved them for nighttime to try and get some sleep :)

Someone else I know was allowed to take two Sol*padiene (sp).

This would only be on the say so of GP or Consultant though.

I had a fall a couple of weeks ago, and pulled something in my back. I haven't been able to to sleep since with the pain. The GP told me it would be ok to take 2 Solpadine (sp) at night, but only because I'm in the second trimester. Appartently its not safe to take Solpadine in the first or third trimesters because it has codine??

OP - have you tried an ice pack or a hot water bottle for the pain in you back? Ice is the only thing that helps me. The Solpadine didn't help at all with the pain, so I've stopped taking it, although it did make me very drowsy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I was told Solpadeine also but I refused to take anything while pregnant...I figured that the pain was good practice for childbirth! In the end of the day there is no point in taking any chances with your baby - I would not take anything,

Hi all thanks for replies, managing so far without anything. Went to bed early and slept ok and its not as bad as yesterday but still very uncomfortable... I was in a bad way yest, so I figure if I managed to do without I should be ok for the next few weeks, really being good in first tri and as CM said, I don't want to take any chances. If I manage to get to second tri and I might be less of a martyr! OH dealing with quite a cranky lady at the mo the poor thing!:o
    Its nice to vent here, I look at some other preg forums but don't bother posting, I feel boards is a bit more down to earth. I usually post under another name here, as I still haven't told most of my friends or extended family the news yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

I was advised I could take Solpadeine in my third trimester! Was also given a Difene for back pain when I was in hospital with a bad flu (the back pain was a symptom of the flu, but was surprised they gave me difene for it!)

I'm pretty sure though that its paracetamol only for the first three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 laughingtoaster

Hi Six,

A hot water bottle or heat pack is brilliant for a sore back. I took one on a car journey yesterday & stopped for a refill at a cafe. (I am very obviously pregnant - so did get the sympathy vote.)

Also, go see a physio. These things are best nipped in the bud by a professional rather than struggling on. I've just been to the physio in CUMH today & feel much better, plus I have some stretches and exercises to help for now and avoid future problems.
    Check with your maternity hospital to see if they provide a physio service, CUMH do, but I'm sure any registered physio will be able to handle someone who is pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Sixx,

If you have muscular pain in your back heat applied to the area will help greatly. As far as painkillers go, your best bet is to consult your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I would have thought a heat pack was a bad idea in the first trimester for the same reason hot baths, saunas etc are?

Hi Guys...
    Thanks for all the really helpful posts, I'm much better now, seems to have teased itself out but still the odd tweek, and for that the hot water bottle sounds great, I have one hidden in a press somewhere so I think I'll dust it off later and flake on the couch with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Quackles wrote: »
    I would have thought a heat pack was a bad idea in the first trimester for the same reason hot baths, saunas etc are?

A localized heat pack isn't really going to raise your core body temperature the way a sauna, steam room or hot bath would, so afaik it's safe to use a heat pack (naturally, you'd be using heat therapy only when really necessary, as with most things in pregnancy).

Advertisement