Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa

Options
  • 26-01-2009 12:05pm

hi

moved here at the start of the month for work, in a place called Vanderbijlpark bot 30 mins south of jo'burg. to my amazement i havent come across 1 irish person, every place i have ever went to i'd bump into an irish person in the first few days

just wondering are there many irish in south africa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Just spent six weeks in SA and met only two other Irish couples, this was travelling along the coast from Cape Town to JoBurg,the more touristy area i'd imagine. Was surprised myself that there weren't more Irish but I don't really go on hols to meet Irish anyway so wasn't a prob.

However I understand that its nice to meet up with a few if you are living there, is there any kind of ex-pat website or meetings that you could go to? There are quite a few animal conservation parks in that area that get alot of people from Europe to volunteer, I believe it attracts a few Irish there too.

I loved SA so much and can't wait to go back some day.What are you doing over there do you mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My OH is from Johannesburg originally and all his family are still there. He keeps saying he wants to move back one day but I'm actually not keen on the idea at all.

It is nice to hear of someone have a good experience in Jo'burg. I've only ever heard negative things (apart from my OH of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

I'm from Durban. I've found more SA people here than Irish in SA!
    Heads up, keep out of anywhere near Soweto and Diepsloot unless you are prepared to shoot to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 oreillykm

Hi There, I lived in the Northern Suburbs (Sandton) for almost 2 years. There are a few Irish in and around Jo'Burg and there is an Irish Club in the northern suburbs (www.irishclub.co.za). Not bad spot, and a few "plastic paddies" there, but good fun and a great band called Dalriada.

handy out, nice 1, going moving to midrand in a month so might pop into sandton a few times

• Advertisement
Advertisement