Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribal Warfare 4 "The Next Generation"

Options
  • 26-01-2009 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Ultimate Fighting returns to Galway with the fourth instalment of the Tribal Warfare promotion. The event takes place on the 28th of March in the Black Box Theatre. The event features the top MMA talent in the country with Galway taking on the rest of Ireland in 14 full rules matches.

The main event is a rematch of one of the most entertaining amateur rules matches ever to take place in the [url="http://www.MMALeague.com]MMA League[/url] KO Martial Arts Coach Barry Oglesby takes on Point Blank's Kevin "The Sandman" Moran.

Both fighters have been accumulating experience in the MMA scene around the country and their journey has led them both full circle.

Kevin is one of the most well rounded fighters coming out of the Point Blank Gym, where he earned his BJJ Blue Belt; he has improved his already solid Thai Boxing at the SEAMA Academy and 'El Hefe' Vinny Connolly has added his outstanding wrestling coaching to further improve Kevin's game.

Barry has always had exceptional stand up, and his punching power is perhaps the best kept secret in Irish MMA. He has many submission wins to his credit in both MMA and in grappling competition and without doubt can finish the fight a number of ways.

Will the Roper tangle Moran's climb in the welterweight division? Or can the Sandman sprinkle sleeping dusts on Oglesby's ambitions?
    Find out at Tribal Warfare 4 - "The Next Generation"

Tickets available from the Town Hall Theatre and Point Blank Gym. Fully licensed bar available at the event. Doors Open 6pm, first fight 7pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

More fights will be announced in the coming weeks.

A couple of spots are still available on the card, pm mail (info [at] pointblankgym [dot] com) or call me 087 2037 926 if you are interested. All classes are running on this show from D through A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I took this fight because:

1) I love Galway
    2) I love Star Trek
    3) Mark uses the apostrophe correctly.

[misinformation]Just back from not training much and sitting down to a pizza and a few beers. I'll take a couple of weeks off and then peak a few days out[/misinformation]

Gonna be a great night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Roper wrote: »

[misinformation]Just back from not training much and sitting down to a pizza and a few beers. I'll take a couple of weeks off and then peak a few days out[/misinformation]

Gonna be a great night.

Tactical beer bellys for the win eh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Roper wrote: »
    [misinformation]Just back from not training much and sitting down to a pizza and a few beers. I'll take a couple of weeks off and then peak a few days out[/misinformation].

BJ, is that you?

Kicking off the card in Galway will be Point Blank's Ollie Mannion vs Keith Pendred of KO Martial Arts.

Ollie is making his debut in Antrim at the next Spartan event, but has previously taken part in the MMA League last year. Ollie brings 100% every time he competes so this is sure to be an explosive Galway Debut.

Keith is coming off a win at "The Fight Before Christmas" where he defeated Aidan Carney to a hard fought decision. Keith demonstrated a cool head under pressure and strong clinch and stand up. He will be a handful for any fighter at this class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

I've never been to a domestic MMA show so bear with me.

How much are tickets and is there reserved seating like there is in The Point? What I mean is, is there ringside seats and normal seats or do you just get whatever seat you can grab when you get there? I've never been to the Black Box so I've no clue if what I'm asking is even relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Unless it's changed since last time I was there then it's just general admission. Doesn't really matter much anyway as the Black box is relatively small and you should have a good view from almost anywhere.

I've never been to a domestic MMA show so bear with me.

How much are tickets and is there reserved seating like there is in The Point? What I mean is, is there ringside seats and normal seats or do you just get whatever seat you can grab when you get there? I've never been to the Black Box so I've no clue if what I'm asking is even relevant.

I'm glad you asked that Bobby, there will be ringside seats available at this Tribal Warfare, priced at 30 euro, standard tickets 25. I don't know how many of these will be on sale, I will be figuring that out in the next week or so before they go on sale.

Its handy that you were at the Tribal Warfare feeder show in the O2 as you will have a rough idea of what MMA is all about before you see the real deal in the Black Box :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Scramble

If you've never been to a domestic show then you're in for a treat, Bobby- Tribal Warfare is (IMO) the best of the bunch. Good cards, and the best crowd/audiences in Ireland I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fergal_d

Looking forward to another great Tribal Warfare event. Great to see 14 Point blank guys on the card Mark!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Thanks for the info Mark! I've heard Tribal Warfare is good so I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah +1 to what scramble said by far best show around, great venue for it too not a bad seat in the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

the atmosphere in the black box for the seery/lovbrands show was first class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Yeah its the best venue in Galway for MMA in my opinion, it's often used for world kb title fights. It is in a handy location, can hold a good crowd and theres lights around the mirrors in the dressing rooms...sure what more do you want!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

darragh-k wrote: »
    theres lights around the mirrors in the dressing rooms...sure what more do you want!:p
    They’re pretty sweet I have to say. :)

The Black Box is a great venue, the best I've been to in Ireland for that size of event, plus Mark always puts on a great show, plus Roper from the Internet is fighting. What more could one ask for??

After the successful inauguration of the Tribal Warfare Shield event between Point Blank and Kilkenny at the last show, Tribal Warfare 4 will feature another Shield event this time at amateur level between Pankration Academy Limerick and Point Blank Galway
    The shield consists of three fights with the team holding the most wins out of the three taking the shield back to their home gym.

Bernard O'Connell - Point Blank

vs.

Steven Brinn - Pankration Academy

Teen Lightweight D Class

First would will be the Teens.
    Since joining Point Blank back in 2007 Bernard O'Connell has steadily applied his considerable talents to improving in mixed martial arts. Having recently added Thai Boxing to his already solid wrestling and ground he has assembled all the elements for creating a warrior; any warrior however must be tempered in the heat of battle and after waging a successful MMA League Teen Campaign last year, there was only one man he couldn't defeat, and he will be standing across the Cage from him at Tribal Warfare.

Steven Brinn first entered the realm of MMA competition at the West Coast Junior Grappling Competition where he narrowly lost by submission in a superfight against Darragh Kirwan. Steven demonstrated stand out striking on that occasion and he has honed his already superb stand up skills since then. Facing Bernard for the first time at the 2nd WCJGC he showed how his wrestling has improved as he prevented many of Bernard's takedown attempts. On their first meeting the match ended in a draw, now with punches to the head allowed in the next instalment he will be looking to land some of his big right hands and net his first MMA victory.
    The Tribal Warfare Shield begins with striker vs. grappler!

Paul Delaney - Point Blank/ Galway Black Dragon

vs.
    David McNamara - Pankration Academy
    Lightweight C Class

Paul Delaney will be well known to fight fans at the Black Box after his third round knockout in the Seasons Beatings event, that many pundits were calling fight of the night. Delaney's tenacity has been certified and he has heavy hands to add to his no-quit attitude. Adding ground to his game at Point Blank Paul is one of the rising stars in the gym, and now looks to make it on official with his first MMA win.

David McNamara has been around the MMA world longer than Delaney and will be the better rounded for it. He debuted in the inaugural Tribal Warfare where he lost a decision to Spartan MMA fighter Rob Freeman. On that day there were some holes in McNamara's ground game, but the astute battle tactician took some time away from the ring to shore up his weaker areas. The fighter that lined out at MMA League Dublin '08 was very different to the one that entered the cage in Galway; David now looks to have the tools in all ranges and if he can put them together when it counts could be a force in the Lightweight division.
    To do that however, he will have to contest with the iron will of Paul Delaney, in what will be an explosion of Ultimate Fighting Fury!

Antoine Mobian - Point Blank
    vs.
    Donal Tynan - Pankration Academy
    Welterweight C Class

Antoine Mobian was one of the Point Blank standouts in MMA League 08, dropping only 2 points over the whole season, and remaining undefeated despite squaring off against the Veteran League Champion in Kilkenny. Coming from a Rugby background Mobian took to MMA much as you would expect a talented athlete to do - at full speed! Mobian has demonstrated superior clinch in his many battles and devastating striking as he lands his considerable power on the end of his strikes. Mobian will be head hunting in this match up and looking to end the match early.

Donal Tynan is another journeyman at Limerick Pankration and has also put in the miles on the MMA League Circuit, emerging undefeated last year. Though Tynan has a loss marring his record from Mobian's stable mate Diarmuid O'Riordain, he is no longer the fighter he was back in April of last year; in MMA League Dublin he demonstrated an amazing improvement not just in technique but in poise and composure in the ring. He already has firepower in his striking, as you would expect from any students of Dermot McGrath, and now he has the ground and the confidence to back it up.
    Watch out at Tribal Warfare 4, if the shield rests on the winner of this match up, it could be all over in seconds!

Alan "The Cannon" Hannon vs Kevin McAlonan
    A Class Lightweight Bout

Kevin McAlonan returns to the cage with this match up at the higher weight class of lightweight. Kevin is a tremendous young fighter well rounded and experienced, like all the EFR Team fighters. Kevin will be looking to stamp his passport into lightweight legitimacy with a win over the Galway stand out.

The Cannon will not make that an easy task; currently undefeated in Tribal Warfare events he showed tremendous tenacity against The Heat Begley in the last event as the two went back and forth before Alan was able to force the win. Alan always brings a mix of explosive punching power and slick ground to the cage and is sure to be a handful in a match that is set to rival the main event in being a contender for fight of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Alan "The Cannon" Hannon vs Kevin McAlonan

This is gonna be **** hot!

Two up and coming fighters set to square off in the heaviest weight class on the Tribal Warfare card so far. Both men are relatively new to the sport.

Paul made his MMA League Debut on Saturday falling prey to the curse of the Rookie with a head shot DQ, which will serve him well at Tribal Warfare!

Myles will be entering the octagon for the first time in Galway, but fighting out of Kyoujin he is sure to bring a complete game into the match up.

Additional previews and final card here - Tribal Warfare 4 Previews

• Advertisement

More previews available on the Tribal Warfare Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

That card is looking hot! Can't wait:)

Advertisement