Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What year in secondary school did you think/ do you think is the best!?

• 25-01-2009 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

I think my favorite year in school was 3rd year, all things considered!
    The teenage discos were the best fun ever and there was something kinda exciting, for want of a better word, about sitting the junior.
    It seemed to be sunny a lot that year too!

Which year was/ is your favorite year in secondary school? 103 votes

1st year
    0% 0 votes
    2nd year
    6% 7 votes
    3rd year
    12% 13 votes
    Transition year (if you did it)
    9% 10 votes
    5th year
    21% 22 votes
    6th year
    14% 15 votes
    Other eg. repeat 6th year
    34% 36 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Leaving cert, though I didn't really realise it at the time! TY was pretty savage too though, though that might be because that was the year I started drinking properly

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Transition Year was one of the most important things I've ever done. It helped me discover so many great things about myself, about friends, about life.

I used what I learned in TY to make 6th Year pretty good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

It's a close thing between TY and leaving cert year, both were pretty great in their own ways. I think leaving cert year wins though :) Even though the workload was bigger, it was great how cool everyone in the year has become. We all just got along like we hadn't really done so much in previous years and the teachers all kind of dropped the teacher student thing and just treated us like adults, which was cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

TY was great. Especially when we went to Prague on our school trip. That and generally not bothering to turn up for school made that year special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

TY was awesome because it was a doss and I got to go into school and do nothing but play guitar forthe last 2 months.

5th year had a shítload of house parties and getting to know new people.

Can't decide really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Probably 6th Year, because I had a fairly close group of friends and I was so close to the finish line of 2nd level. Also, teachers were much nicer to us and actually treated us like adults.

Didn't do TY so can't comment on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

5th year, although that may not be anything to do with the year itself. Thrid year was pretty crap for me (and it wasn't even anything to do with the JC :rolleyes:), and so I was just generally happier in 5th year! School wise, I changed class in 5th year, which was a ridiculously good thing, and I went to Barcelona with the TY's, which was really great! So yeah, pretty good year all round I suppose!

Still deciding about 6th year.... I know this time next year when the exams are over, I'll probably remember it as the best year, but with mocks in a week, it's not seeming so great now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

Poll added mo chairde! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

For me it HAD to be 2nd year, no year has compared. In the summer of 1st year I made a load of new friends so 2nd year was all about getting to know them and myself better.

Although I had so many new experiences and a lot of fun in TY I was pretty miserable for some of it.

The beginning of 5th year was super-happy time for me cos I had just started going out with my boyfriend so there was a lot of floating around being a sap for a few months.

My favourite still has to be 2nd year though, that was a very formative year. (though oh how I cringe at dying my hair purple >.<)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Id say 5th or 6th(this year) for me, why?

People have kinda stopped being cúnts, which imo, is always nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

6th, Teachers start treating you like humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

6th year was surprisingly good craic. Some great moments with teachers and one in particular even asking us for genuine no holds barred feedback on the school. Hero - buuuurrrvvday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

2nd year was the funniest and most fcuked up year ever in a nice kind of way.

In other words shy best friend got his first shift in front of the whole school. What a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

2nd year! No more being 1st years. School trip across Europe and not having to worry or care about exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Schoolically speaking, TY hands down, although extraneous circumstances made me an unhappy little camper for a few months of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

TY was fun. I wouldn't say it was the best though since half the time, we were doing nothing in class and I got really bored with that. The last month of TY was horrible since nothing happened.

2nd year was also good. It was carefree and there was nothing to worry about.

This year is definitely the best though. I'm in 6th year and I'm not too worried about exams so it's good. I've made some new friends and everything is just so more friendly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

2nd year was the funniest and most fcuked up year ever in a nice kind of way.

In other words shy best friend got his first shift in front of the whole school. What a legend

SHIFT.... SUCH a culchie word:p:D

Prob this year (6th)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

either 3rd year or this year (6th) although i was pretty pissed off for a while, had a major fallout with a few people, but have come out with much better friends on the other side of it...
    TY was awesome too, got to know the whole year so much better and made loads of new friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭KathleenF

Third year was a laugh, good craic now. Transition laugh was good stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I loved First Year. I know most people hate it, but I thought it was great. Finally out of primary school, secondary school has yet to become a boring, monotonous routine, new friends, different subjects...yet without the hassle of exams/ work/ worrying about the future. Ah, good times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

Acacia wrote: »
    I loved First Year. I know most people hate it, but I thought it was great. Finally out of primary school, secondary school has yet to become a boring, monotonous routine, new friends, different subjects...yet without the hassle of exams/ work/ worrying about the future. Ah, good times.

I actually agree with this, 1st year was grand, zero worries about anything!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have very few fond memories from first year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,148 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

creggy wrote: »
    Thats really the whole bones of it. Youd be suprised how much more self-esteem and motivation you have when you dont feel like a number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

creggy wrote: »

I misread this, thinking "Teachers treat you like Hummus?"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Nettie

I loved third year! Best year so far for sure. The teachers are so much nicer 'cause they think we have loads of pressure on us. Second year's awful. It's full of homework 'cause the teachers think we have nothing better to be doing.

However I'd say TY will be the best year (Can't wait for September!).

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

6th year was by far my favourite.You know that all of your work actually has a point and teachers stop hasseling you over small thing like uniform and being late.Some good nights out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

My school doesn't offer TY so can't sya I have an opinion of that, I chose 5th year.
    No-one did much work, most people had stopped being childish retards by that stage and school trip was awesome, though we only went to Monaghan which seems kinda pathetic in comparison to a lot of yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Skally-wag

For me it was 6th year. Although the workload was awful, I found that the classes were fun, the teachers treated you more like adults. It was also easy to get away with stuff as the teachers really didn't care about whether you stuck to rules or not. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Anthem

Fifth so far, but I'll reserve final judgement till I finish sixth!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement