Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with recovery

Options
  • 25-01-2009 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has just got a new pc (dell desktop jobbie), to replace an aging laptop.

he has his itunes and photos on a maxtor external drive (usb). not copies.

he tried copying the files to the new pc but got a message to say drive

G:\ drive not accessible, access denied
    sometimes he can see the files but not open them ( i think the drive is knackered)

so i have been through a lot stuff and i reckon the external drive is on its last legs.

can anyone recommend a software program that may recover the files?

would this http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm work?

is there another way.?

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions
    JOhn
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Recuva or PhotoREC are free data recovery programs, but will only work once the drive is detected, if the drive is out of warenty, or opening it voiding the warrenty isnt a problem, open the maxtor case and inside should be a standard pata/sata hard drive, hook it up to the pc and see if it gets detected, and possibly you'll be able to recover all files

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

open the maxtor case and inside should be a standard pata/sata hard drive, hook it up to the pc and see if it gets detected, and possibly you'll be able to recover all files

I had suggested that but i think he isn't confident enough to do it. (He lives in Dublin so long way for me to go )

Advertisement