Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Page

• 25-01-2009 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Ok, I know I'm about to get blasted by hundreds upon thousands of dedicated Hendrix fans (which I am too), but I had to start a thread for, in my opinion, the GREATEST guitarist OF ALL TIME.

One argument I will make first is that, and this probably is a cheap shot, Page could get off the drugs before it killed him, but then seeing one of his best friends die (John Bonham R.I.P.) probably gave him a clue.

Still, in his prime, I just believe Jimmy Page was better than any other guitarist previous and that came after him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

page is excellent
    what do you think of rory g?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

cianl1 wrote: »
    Ok, I know I'm about to get blasted by hundreds upon thousands of dedicated Hendrix fans (which I am too), but I had to start a thread for, in my opinion, the GREATEST guitarist OF ALL TIME.

One argument I will make first is that, and this probably is a cheap shot, Page could get off the drugs before it killed him, but then seeing one of his best friends die (John Bonham R.I.P.) probably gave him a clue.

Still, in his prime, I just believe Jimmy Page was better than any other guitarist previous and that came after him.

Page's prime was a very short period of time until he melted his brain, and ended up creatively bankrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

A very creative guitarist, a little bit sloppy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

c-note wrote: »
    page is excellent
    what do you think of rory g?

Pure Irish blues legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

cianl1 wrote: »
    I had to start a thread for, in my opinion, the GREATEST guitarist OF ALL TIME.
    What makes him the best guitarist ever for you? Personally while I think he's undoubtedly talented, he's nowhere near the best ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Page's prime was a very short period of time until he melted his brain, and ended up creatively bankrupt.

12 years is short? And thats not including the yardbirds and session work! And I think Bonham's death and Zeppelin's demise had a lot more to do with his bankrupt creativity than anything else.

My favourite guitarist - and ignoring some very shaky songwriting credits; my favourite songwriter.

If you ever see The Song Remains The Same DVD, then you'll know why.

Here's a little sample:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=flcF4vNa61U

This I just have to post purely for Jimmy's main riff, not forgetting the solo:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=FgHSk91RhL8

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Would have to go with Page on this one. An excellent all rounder as a guitarist, very clever rhythm player and his lead work speaks for itself.

Just looks at the influence he has left on rock/metal 30 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

What about Joe Satriani

• Advertisement

I have all the respect in the world for Joe, but he's just not in the same league as Page.

That's just the way it is.;)

Yeah he's by far a much better technical guitarist than Page.. i agree :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Page was a good player, no doubt, but was made look a hell of a lot better due to his band. JPJ was the real talent in that band. Some great songs, yeah, but where is the revolution? Where is the unique sound that sets him apart from everyone else? It's blues rock, basically. Excellent blues rock, but blues rock nonetheless. He was a member of a great band.

He's not a patch on Hendrix though. Hendrix revolutionised the instrument in a way no-one before or since has done. Bear in mind Hendrix's career (his real career, not his time on the circuit as a backing musician) was little over three years. There are two eras in electric guitar - pre and post Hendrix, that says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

HAS to be Blackmore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Honestly i don't rate Jimmy Page, he's a good guitarist but not for me, Rory Gallagher definately the most under rated guitar player in the world by my eye's, he so influential to the likes off slash and what not, if fact he's his idol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

To be honest, I think David Gilmour is the greatest guitarist ever. Simply fantastic. The solos on Comfortably Numb, Money, Shine on you Crazy Diamond, etc. Obviously, he has a very different style to Hendrix, Page et al, but that's what makes him brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Jay P wrote: »
    To be honest, I think David Gilmour is the greatest guitarist ever. Simply fantastic. The solos on Comfortably Numb, Money, Shine on you Crazy Diamond, etc. Obviously, he has a very different style to Hendrix, Page et al, but that's what makes him brilliant!

I would tend to agree, However Gilmour's approach is methodical and makes every note, bend and pull off count and has thought through his solo's carefully. He has honed his sound, that is dripping with echo that enhances his style.

I like Page he is showy and cavalier, from the live footage I have seen he does tend to be sloppy and lacks finesse, but he more than makes up for it with his killer riffs and licks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

starflake wrote: »
    What about Joe Satriani

That's quite funny.

Jimmy is a legend, but he is no Jimi.....not for song writing anyway.

Jimmy Page was ahead of his time but Jimi Hendrix is truly timeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Is it time to mention Yngwie?:pac:

I love Page, Gilmour and Hendrix equally and they'd probably form my top three. I couldn't pick a number one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

EVH says that page plays like a 5 year old with a broken hand.

Then completly changed him mind afew years later.

Think about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Then completly changed him mind afew years later.

Think about it!

OK, I've thought about this for a while and I still don't understand this post:pac:

Page is like Iommi to me, technically no big deal, stylistically good but easily decipherable, but they still progressed and enhanced rock guitar way more than most. Their greatness is all about the riffs thats where their soulfullness is - technicians like EVH could out play both of them in his sleep but he hasn't got an ounce of their soulfullness. Noone, except Blackmore - who was/is a technical master, came up with riffs like these guys, they wrote the book. But Hendricks was more technically gifted, had more soul and creativity in his little toe than all the rest put together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Jay P wrote: »

Definitely.

Gilmour would be the guitarist I rate highest..

Every bend is pitch perfect, he just makes every note count, really really comfortable on his guitar. Its more a part of him than a seperate instrument sometimes.

I have never really rated Page as a guitarist, I'm not a fan of his style, songs or leads.

That's quite funny.

Jimmy is a legend, but he is no Jimi.....not for song writing anyway.

Jimmy Page was ahead of his time but Jimi Hendrix is truly timeless.

What's funny about Joe Satriani? He's amazing! His performance is excellent. He's an excellent showman and he has perfected his instrument technically. He expresses mood in a flawless manner he makes the guitar speak. He is a master at what he does. He was nominated for a grammy 14 times and sold 10million albums. He has taught countless amounts of well known rock guitarists. Don't see much funny about that to be honest. It's my opinion... Backed up by facts... it's hardly fair to sneer at it is it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

total tool as a person
    as a guitarist

a god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

This thread is like a bunch of 5 year olds in a school yard. Nobody is "better" than anyone else. It's not a competition.

Advertisement