Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying Pine bed

Options
  • 25-01-2009 5:30pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have two kids pine beds and want to change the colour to a cream.

What type of paint is used for this - suitable for a spray gun.
    Is there specific prep work needed - sanding etc to remove any top coats etc

any other info would be great

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Karltimber, not sure of a answer for paint for you but my next project ,I'm going to have a go at spraying so hopefully you'll have answers!

I would say that the end finish would be much better if you sanded first regardless of whats already on the pine.

What spray set up do you have?I'm looking at a cheap sprayer to go on my compresser.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2867_8132.htm

This came out in aldi today,but I'd rather have an air system I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Hi Karl

I've never sprayed pine before but I've sprayed guitars. I can tell you what I know based on that.

First yes you should sand it. I sanded it with progressively finer grades but for a timber bed i'm guessing you're not looking for a glossy finish so two or three medium grades should do it.

Next wipe it down to remove dust and treat it with a coat of sanding sealer.

Now begin to spray. If you're putting multiple coats on give 12 to 24 hours between them to allow them to 'gas off'. This may only apply to nitrocellulose lacquer, which is what I was using so read the instructions on the paint you use. Sanding between coats with fine wet and dry will leave you with a better finish if you're doing multiple coats.

For an extra good finish on the final coat you can use 0000 grade wire wool to polish. This is super fine wool so make sure to wear the mask you used when spraying.

Hope all that applies to whatever way you're spraying and hope it helped. :)

Edit: Just a thouight but possibly instead of sanding sealer a simple wood primer may be easier and more apt if you are using something other than spray lacquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

karltimber, normally a pre-cat lacquer would be used... it isn't the easiest project to start on. You could get the lacquers, any colour, from Morrells but at five liters minimum at a cost of about 60 to 85 it wouldn't be cheap.
    To be honest I would recommend hand painting instead... but if you want to have a go at spraying give it a shot... as I say though, it'd be easier to be using a clear varnish at first.. solid colours show up runs etc, and it's very hard to spray round or turned posts without over-spraying some parts... (underspraying is easier to fix than overspraying.. but sometimes you forgot to check the spraygun orientation for example and then you get massive runs.. or the hose will catch on something etc etc)

Aerosol
    If you already have a compressor I'd say buy a cheap spraygun from Axminster.. the AS1040 for about £40.. I have one and find it quite good. It's a suction type so good for thinner lacquers. (Axminster also sell a centrifugal water and oil trap which is disposable, it connects into your air line and cleans the air before the spraygun, at about £4 for 2, it's pretty good and they last a few weeks or months... they will give you better topcoats if water is coming through)

I have also just ordered a spray gun from Rutlands.. a Dakota gravity fed gun, with three nozzle sizes. The larger nozzle, and the fact that it is gravity fed sould make spraying primers easy (primers are very thick and can't really be sprayed with smaller nozzle suction type guns). I'm not sure that the 2.0mm largest nozzle will be big enough for unthinnned primers.

Rutlands also have a suction type dakota spray gun, also on special.. both guns are £49 each down from £89. These are HVLP sprayguns, so high volume, low pressure, far less overspray, less wasted spray etc.

(£49 per gun, not for two)

I have looked at those electric type sprayguns but I'm not convinced...

The 3M activated charcoal or activated carbon respirators are good, about €30 to €40 but they are more than one use (obviously).. when using them you can hardly smell the spray at all... they are very effective, and as I say they also last for a few months (if placed back into the airtight bag after use).

Advertisement