Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who funds Barnardos?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm thinking of doing some volunteer work with Barnardos. A friend suggested it. However, I find it hard to establish exactly who are the main funders of that organisation? They seem reluctant to answer the questions on the phone.I assume the HSE give them funding and wonder how much power that gives the HSE over them. Also where could one see what the senior people in Barnardos are earning as another person suggested there pay is linked to top grade civil servants. I know they do some good work but I would like to get answers to these questions to make sure that any voulenteer work I would do for them was benefiting the children I would like to help and not propping up an overpaid adminstration senario. Any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Sorry OP don't have the info, but this is definately a timely question in light of the scandal going with the 'independent' enquiry from that incest case a few weeks back!! Check out some governmental threads here...they all in bed with each other....

Sur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kadder

Although your questions are valid, I imagine if you volunteer in Barnardos directly with the children you will see the immediate effect of your volunteering so I fail to see why people's salaries are an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

kadder wrote: »
    Although your questions are valid, I imagine if you volunteer in Barnardos directly with the children you will see the immediate effect of your volunteering so I fail to see why people's salaries are an issue

It's a question of value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kadder

Agreed about value but because they're a charity, should their staff be valued any less than civil servants or other workers in the public sector. I think their work is even more valuable to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Funding is no big secret, they put it in their annual report which is freely available on their site.

Also includes income/expenditure ratios and accounts.

>Also where could one see what the senior people in Barnardos are earning
    I doubt you're going to see this anywhere. Senior people, even when working for a charity, are entitled to their privacy.
    Directors remuneration may be broken down in the accounts filed with companies' house, I'm not sure what the obligations are on a charity.

http://www.barnardos.ie/pdf.php?path=assets/files/pdfs/FinalAnnualReview07PDF_1.pdf
    Barnardos is financed by a mix of statutory and voluntary funding. In 2007 we raised a total income of €21.6m,
    an increase of 10.7% on the previous year. The income was generated thorough various channels. 62% was
    government funding, primarily allocated through the Health Service Executive; and the remainder was raised
    through our fundraising activity.
    In 2007 fundraising income generated €3.55m (actual cash income was €5.2m), a growth of almost 34% on the
    previous year. This enabled Barnardos to expand our reach and invest in critical services for children and families.
    We also continued to bolster our internal services to ensure that we have the people, the capacity, and the supports
    needed to deliver the best possible services to make a long-term positive impact on the children we work with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement