Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The recession is so bad, even Superquinn shops in the north

Options
  • 25-01-2009 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Superquinn last week said it would cut 400 jobs and close its Dundalk store, blaming ‘‘developments in cross-border shopping’’ and then they go ahead and do the same :D

Superquinn buys goods in Northern wholesalers

Supermarket chain Superquinn has begun buying goods from wholesalers in the North rather than the Republic in order to cut costs.

The retailer has sourced British-made products from the Belfast operation of Makro, a major European wholesaler. Sources said that the move enabled Superquinn to save up to 25 per cent compared with sourcing the same products in the Republic.

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=39050-qqqx=1.asp
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

always better value.......every little helps......

do we boycott superquinn??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

DonJose wrote: »

Superquinn buys goods in Northern wholesalers

this is going to be a big problem, I can see a lot of retailers doing the same, at the moment it makes no sense to buy from Irish distributors much an all as we should try and keep the business in the country.....countrys fupped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

Government needs to reduce VAT rate but cant because less VAT = less money = more pay cuts = higher debt = pensioners on strike again = rise in income levy = A NEW TAX to make up for loss in VAT.........ya we're fooked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The majority of products on our shop shelves are imported anyway. Superquinn don't have to pay uk vat and do add irish vat in this case so it makes little difference unlike consumer purchases across the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

Lots of shopkeepers and publicans are doing it, going to Asda, Sainsbury's etc and stocking up.

The cheek of Lenihan saying it was unpatriotic. I thought Fianna Fail believed in the free market? I wouldn't be surprised if that comment encouraged a good few more to go on shopping in the north.

I know of a local businessman who recently opened a new grocery store in the Republic close to the border and was on the radio encouraging people to shop local. Around the same time his wife had been on a Christmas shopping trip in New York - hypocrites.

I will continue to shop where I get the best value and not because someone tells me it's unpatriotic. Long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Government reduced VAT before. From 21% to 20% and all that happened was businesses pocketed the difference and consumers saw no benefits.
    So they put it back to 21%. Ok, 1% isn't a big cut but consumers should have some drops. This was around the introduction of the Euro and the rounding up nonsense that went on

Maybe it needs to be cut but who can say what difference it'll make people shopping. Most likely none as the business will pocket it.
    Much like the publicans when Diagio adds 5c to a pint the publicans add another 10c for themselves ;)

Enough of this patriotic argument! You may as well say don't take holidays in Spain, New York or anywhere abroad while there are vacant rooms in Irish hotels

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Don't see a problem with them sourcing their stock up the north. They are bringing it across the border, selling it and helping to keep staff this side of the border in jobs.
    They are making the best of a bad situation. Lenihan is full of his own self-indulgent crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

As long as people here still have jobs, who cares

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Refresh

phasers wrote: »

I don't have a jon anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

phasers wrote: »

Depends on which people we're talkign about. Superquinn might not have to close a store due to being able to source goods cheaper but to a supplier that is loseing superquinn as a customers ther'd have to be job losses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

It's probably all made in China anyway so it doesn't matter which 'hole saler' they get it from

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Refresh wrote: »
    I don't have a jon anymore

Then use the out house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Kat Slater wrote: »
    I will continue to shop where I get the best value and not because someone tells me it's unpatriotic. Long may it continue.

Ah patriotism. Making people do irrational thing since 1000bc

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sure Martin McGuinness says it is patriotic so it must be.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement