Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimsleur/Online resources?

Options
  • 24-01-2009 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've been thinking of learning German, I'm still in Secondary school so don't really have any money for courses, and my school doesn't teach it (only French, which I study, but dislike and don't do very well in).

If anyone can link me to good sites I'd much appreciate it, or recommend any cheap books I could get.

I'd probably be able to borrow a set of Pimsleur CDs from my neighbour who now speaks the language fluently if I wanted. Has anyone got experience with these?
    Do they actually teach the grammar behind what you learn or is it just "Memorise phrases for 30 minutes a day until you can have a limited and overly polite conversation"?
    If I use these should I use them by themselves or in conjunction with books/websites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Pimsleur tend to be the "Memorise phrases..." deal, or at least any course I have listened to / seen.

Get yourself to a library and see what they have & back it up with http://www.livemocha.com ? Also, get some German movies with subtitles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 InternetTroll

Ah to be honest I never even thought of the library (Kids these days?), that I guess would be a good way to start, LiveMocha seems good too.

I'm thinking I could borrow the Pimsleur CDs anyway but for pronunciation and picking up some vocabulary, rather than actually using it to learn the language (After all, people pay hundreds for it, I don't want to miss a chance to get it for free)

Thanks very much for the suggestions

Advertisement