Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious About Paganism

Options
  • 24-01-2009 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

I'm just writing here to find out a little more about the pagan community in Ireland. I was brought up a Roman Catholic by two very religious parents but I never felt very Religious. For awhile now I've realised that I never really believed in christianity's most fundamental beliefs, such as Jesus being the son of God etc, etc but I've only just become open minded about other belief systems. I'm very curious about paganism, is there any central community in Ireland or is it a mixture of many small communities. How varied are pagan's belief systems and any other info regarding paganism in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

If we were to take the faith you grew up in for sake of comparison, it is a denomination within Christianity. Christianity in turn is one of the Abrahamic faiths, which would include Judaism, Islam, The Druze, The Yizidi and a few minor cults as well as a few where some would debate whether they were denominations or separate religions (such as Mormons) and a few that have merged one of these religions with another (such as Voodoo).

Paganism as a whole would be at least, if not much more as diverse as that in terms of beliefs and practices than all of the above. Indeed, some of them aren't very well described as "belief systems" at all, being linked in similarity of practice more than in similarity of belief (actually, that's true of a very large number of religions, though generally the smaller ones).

The essay I posted a link to on this forum last month compares just two trends within Paganism, and though they would be two of the more closely related in terms of origins, I found plenty to write about in terms of how they differ.

Really, if it wasn't that our collective numbers are pretty small, and for a few historical reasons, we probably wouldn't think of ourselves as having much to do with each other at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Jakkass banned for 1 week for breaches of the rules as in the forum charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hi poker_face, well firstly pagan is a umbrella term and I have found that in going to pagan gatherings you will meet a range of people with a range of beliefs and it can be said ask 3 pagans opinions on a topic and you can get 5 opinions :)

There is a stickied thread which has the list of the different meet ups which happen around the country.

I do understand where you are coming from, Christianity never filled my spiritual cup and I had to go looking else where.

If is it what paganism types are there in Ireland that interests you or are you looking specifically for information on Gaelic/Irish paganism ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Hi poker face :-)

Pleased to meet you:-)

Well i will tell you my own personal experience of the community.

Firstly is is smallish thats the first thing but it is kind of nice too that way.

As regards demominations are very varied.

But i think i will try to give you an overview!:-)

Bare with me as paganism is a lot more varied than a lot of monotheist religions.

I think i would say it is made up of many smaller communities and individuals with a sense of broadly making up the pagan community.

There are the solitary practitioners people who really have there own beliefs that may tie in with a broader aspect of beliefs with others or may not. Some may consider themselves witches druids shamans, nature worship, or something else entirely. The main thing that ties them in with paganism being a belief in polytheism (many gods or spiritual beings) and usually (although not always) practises that you may find have a lot in common with each other.

Then there are the witches of various traditions these tend to be much more and tradition based smaller working groups related to each other through lineage. They would have set rituals usually and initiates. These would include ALexandrian or Gardinarian (these would be the two main groups in Ireland) there would also be an eclectic collection ( in paganism there always is!!). There is also the Italian strega tradition ( not a huge following in Ireland though)

The druids would be from Celtic traditions.

There is the fellowship of Isis.

Asatru followers (These would follow Nordic deities and traditions)

Then there are people who follow the Gaelic Irish traditions.(but google this and you will get a lot American stuff some of it good some of it...)

And lots more.

There would also be organisations and disciplines of a magical and spiritual nature that such as the golden dawn:-)

If you google any of the above i am sure you might find a lot:-)

It is really feeling what you are drawn to you might find yourself wanting to do your own spiritual thing on your own:-)

Private working groups meet together and you would not be able to just turn up there to find out.

But there are moots and there is a sticky up about moots in IReland:-)

A moot is a pagan meeting usually somewhere for pagans to meet up and talk. I dont know if you would feel you would be ready for that or interested. But they have talks and articles on pagan topics.

In fact the an fainne moot has a site and i think you can read their articles which might give you an insight into the Irish pagan scene they are written by Irish pagans:-) If you dont feel like popping to a moot that could give you some insight:-)

Whatever your path be it pagan or not i hope it brings you joy:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

poker_face wrote: »
    I'm just writing here to find out a little more about the pagan community in Ireland. I was brought up a Roman Catholic by two very religious parents but I never felt very Religious. For awhile now I've realised that I never really believed in christianity's most fundamental beliefs, such as Jesus being the son of God etc, etc but I've only just become open minded about other belief systems. I'm very curious about paganism, is there any central community in Ireland or is it a mixture of many small communities. How varied are pagan's belief systems and any other info regarding paganism in Ireland.

Hi Poker_face! You've caused me to come out of lurkdom. As Thaedydal said, ask three pagans what paganism is and you'll get 5 answers. Thats sooooo true :p. Your best bet would be to search the internet. I don't know if we can post links for other (much much larger and with sections for newbie pagans) forums on paganism here or not, so I won't. I suppose, if its not against the rules, you could PM me and I could give it to you that way? If I'm breaking the rules, someone please tell me. I have 2 sites bookmarked that are very helpful. You can use www.witchvox.com for finding pagan groups/shops, etc.

eta: I haven't actually checked witchvox in ages, I hope its still up :p. Perhaps I'll do that right now, that should kill some time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 carlowpagan

heya, hope this isnt too forward or anything, but im starting to explore paganism too, and id be happy to share thoughts with other people of a like mind,
    anyway, if people want to share experiences, and for me to share with them, im more than willing!

dont be strangers :D

Advertisement