Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation

Options
  • 24-01-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Recently we go got new pvc double glazing windows fitted. However since we got them we are stating to get Condensation in the house. Every day there is a puddle of water beside each of the windows. And now there is black spots starting to appear on the ceilings and walls and even slightly on the curtains.

How can we stop the Condensation and moulding?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

Bob Z wrote: »
    Recently we go got new pvc double glazing windows fitted. However since we got them we are stating to get Condensation in the house.

Do you air the house? - ie. open the window for a few minutes each morning - say just before you go to work and remove stale moist air?

I find that during windy weather I do not need to air our house - it airs itself.

On days when there is very little wind I have to open the windows for 5 minutes each morning. I open plenty of them - the idea is to get a good draft thru the house. Fresh air coming in one window and racing thru the house and dragging moist air with it out another window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Do you air the house? - ie. open the window for a few minutes each morning - say just before you go to work and remove stale moist air?

I find that during windy weather I do not need to air our house - it airs itself.

On days when there is very little wind I have to open the windows for 5 minutes each morning. I open plenty of them - the idea is to get a good draft thru the house. Fresh air coming in one window and racing thru the house and dragging moist air with it out another window.

Other people that live in the house dont want them open because of the cold. :mad:

If i open the windows and then the heating is put on(because of the cold) does this make things worse?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

do you havenatural ventilation?? ie passive vents in the walls....

if not you need to opne the windows to air out rooms every day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

Bob Z wrote: »
    Other people that live in the house dont want them open because of the cold. :mad:

If i open the windows and then the heating is put on(because of the cold) does this make things worse?

OK - choose a time to air the house that suits.

We heat our house in the morning from about 7:00 am - 8:00 am. All of us leave at about 8:30 am. I open the windows at 8:25, the air is changed and then I close them. We have no mold anywhere.

It might suit you to air the house at another time. Remember by opening the windows for 5 minutes your house will only lose the warm air - the thermal mass of the house will still retain its heat.

I should add - the other occupants can choose healthy clean air OR damp and mold. Ask them what they prefer and if they like the former put a plan in place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

Buy a dehumidifier.
    Removes the moisture from the air.

• Advertisement
Advertisement